Despite fighting until the final seconds and nursing a full team of injuries, Cologne were defeated in their final Europa League game and were therefore knocked out in Belgrade against Red Star.
Red Star Belgrade 1-0 Cologne
Goals: 1-0 Srnic (21')
It was always going to be a difficult task for the Billy Goats, who currently have as many as eleven first-team players out with injury, as well as it being Stefan Ruthenbeck’s first match as interim coach of the club. Cologne were the better side for many periods in the game, which was, in the end, decided by a first half goal from Slavoljub Srnic.
Yuya Osako and Sehrou Guirassy had the best chances of the game for the Bundesliga side, but Milan Borjan was rarely troubled in the Red Star goal. Cologne now return to Germany to continue their battle against relegation, hosting Freiburg on Sunday.
Watch: Peter Stöger bids an emotional farewell at Schalke
Red Star: Borjan - Stojkovic, Le Tallec, Savic, Rodic - Jovicic, Donald (c) - Srnic, Kanga, Krsticic - Boakye
Substitutes: Supic, Racic, Milijas, Adzic, Babic, Pesic, Gobeljic
Absentees: Ricardo (ankle), Jovicic (broken foot)
Coach: Vladan Milojevic
Cologne: T. Horn - Olkowski, Sörensen, J. Horn, Rausch - Jojic, Lehmann (c), Özcan - Clemens, Osako, Guirassy
Substitutes: Kessler, Klünter, Jakobs, Risa, Ouahim
Absentees: Mere (groin), Bisseck (concussion), Heintz (thigh), Maroh (thigh), Queiros (neck), Risse (knee), Bittencourt (groin), Hector (ankle), Höger (thigh), Cordoba (thigh), Zoller (thigh)
Coach: Stefan Ruthenbeck
- Sehrou Guirassy, who netted a brace at the VELTINS Arena, scored in both Cologne’s two Europa League wins.
- Stefan Ruthenbeck took charge of the Billy Goats for the first time on Thursday.
- Saturday’s draw at Schalke ended a run of four consecutive league defeats for the Billy Goats.
- Milos Jojic started his career with FK Partizan, Red Star’s local rivals.
- Red Star have not conceded more than one goal in any of their last eight European home matches.