New Eintracht Frankfurt signing Nicolai Müller netted a last-minute equaliser to earn the Eagles a 1-1 draw at MLS side Real Salt Lake in the first match of their US summer tour.
Real Salt Lake 1-1 Eintracht Frankfurt
Goals: 1-0 Brody (10'), 1-1 Müller (90+3')
New Frankfurt coach Adi Hütter teased the Rio Tinto Stadium crowd initially by leaving USA international Timothy Chandler on the bench, but fielded a strong line-up nonetheless for his side's first pre-season run-out. However, it was the hosts - currently in the middle of the MLS season - who looked sharper early on and they went ahead after a lovely move down the left, with Andrew Brody tapping in from close range after Joao Plata's cut-back from the left. The visitors had a couple of presentable opportunities to equalise before the break, but were unable to capitalise.
Hütter changed all ten outfield players during the break, with only goalkeeper Felix Wiedwald remaining on the field, and the early exchanges were dominated by the Bundesliga side. Marc Stendera, in particular, was lively, but the visitors lacked the necessary incision in the final third. The game petered out somewhat thereafter, and just as it looked as if Frankfurt were heading for defeat, Müller nodded in at the back post from Danny Blum's in-swinging corner in stoppage time.
Watch: Owo meets Timothy Chandler
- Sebastien Haller was Frankfurt’s top scorer in the Bundesliga last season with nine goals.
- Eintracht drew 1-1 with Seattle Sounders in the opening game of their last US tour.
- Chandler and Beckerman have played together on 12 occasions for the USMNT.
- Chandler is only the fourth USA international to play for Frankfurt after David Wagner, Jermaine Jones and Ricardo Clark.
- Frankfurt defender Carlos Salcedo spent two years as a player with RSL, making his senior debut at the club in May 2013.
- Rusnak, Luis Silva and Corey Baird are the MLS side’s top scorers this season with five goals each.
Real Salt Lake: Putna – Henley (Williams 64'), Peay, Barry (Gallagher 31'), Herrera – Besler, Ruiz – Brody (Moberg 71'), Hernandez, Plata - Silva (Baird 84')
Unused substitutes: Leeker, Glad, Acosta, Lennon, Saucedo
Coach: Mike Petke
Frankfurt: Wiedwald – Da Costa (Chandler 46'), Russ (Knothe 46'), Beyreuther (Falette 46'), Willems (Tawatha 46') – De Guzman (Torro 46'), Besuschkow (Stendera 46') - Kamada (Müller 46'), Gacinovic (Cavar 46'), Allan (Blum 46') - Haller (Hrgota 46')
Unused substitutes: Zimmermann
Absentees: N’Dicka (with U19s), Rebic (World Cup), Fernandes, Jovic, Hasebe, Fabian, Salcedo, Rönnow (all holiday)
Coach: Adi Hütter