Goals: 1-0 Kampl (29'), 1-1 Quaison (39'), 2-1 Werner (45+3' pen.), 2-2 Berggreen (86')
After Yussuf Poulsen flashed a shot wide, Dominik Kaiser, making his first start since March, teed up Timo Werner for a shot which Robin Zentner clutched at the second time of asking. Leipzig kept up the pressure and a fine team move, started by Konrad Laimer and including a neat backheel from Poulsen and cute cutback from Diego Demme, was finished with a delightful dink over the keeper from Kevin Kampl. Leipzig's lead lasted just ten minutes, though, before Quaison converted the rebound before Peter Gulacsi could accept any plaudits for an outstanding save from Daniel Brosinksi's direct free-kick. Werner restored Leipzig's lead in stoppage time, though, slotting home a penalty validated by Video Assist.
Gulacsi got his moment to celebrate ten minutes into the second half when he denied Gerrit Holtmann with another fine diving save, this time turning the ball behind. Giulio Donati tried to find his second Bundesliga goal on his 100th appearance, but shot straight at Gulacsi from an angle as Mainz piled on the pressure. Their coach Sandro Schwarz was ordered to watch the final 20 minutes from the stands as his frustration got the better of him, and from there he saw substitute Berggreen head his side level four minutes from time to snatch a point and save his side from a third straight defeat.
- Leipzig are still unbeaten at home this season, winning 17 of a possible 21 points at the Red Bull Arena.
- Werner has scored all four of the penalties he has taken in the Bundesliga, this his second of the current season.
- Quaison opened his account for the season, adding his name to ten others to have contributed Mainz's last 11 goals.
- Kampl scored his first goal for Leipzig and his first since November 2016, when he scored for Leverkusen against Leipzig.
- The 05ers are without a win in seven on the road under Schwarz. No Mainz coach has had to wait longer for his first Bundesliga victory away from home.
- Mainz are without a win in 13 away games stretching back to last season - their longest ever winless run on the road.
Leipzig: Gulacsi – Klostermann, Ilsanker (46' Compper), Orban (c), Bernardo – Kaiser (83' Halstenberg), Demme, Laimer (46' Bruma), Kampl – Poulsen, Werner
Subs: Mvogo, Konate, Keita, Augustin
Absentees: Sabitzer (shoulder)
Coach: Ralph Hasenhüttl
Mainz: Zentner - Donati, Balogun, Diallo, Brosinski - Gbamin - Latza, Frei (79' Maxim) - Serdar, Holtmann (57' Berggreen) – Quaison (79' Jairo)
Subs: Huth, Hack, De Blasis, Fischer
Absentees: Adler (thigh), Bell (suspended), Onisiwo (shoulder)
Coach: Sandro Schwarz