Goals: 0-1 (Jonathas 56’), 1-1 (Poulsen 70’), 2-1 (Werner 85')
The two attack-minded sides produced a host of chances in an entertaining first half, but could not be separated before the break. Leipzig should have been ahead in the 23rd minute, but Werner was offside when he touched in Marcel Sabitzer's goal-bound shot and the effort was ruled out. Werner had a chance of his own in the final minute of the half as he hit Bruma’s low cross towards goal, only for Julian Korb to deflect the ball onto his own crossbar.
Leipzig were made to pay for their missed chances early in the second half as Hannover took the lead through Jonathas, the Brazilian finishing from Bebou’s squared pass into the box. Emil Forsberg and Naby Keita came off the bench shortly after as Hassenhüttl went in search of an immediate response and, after 70 minutes, the changes came good. Werner, played in behind by Forsberg, squared the ball for Yussuf Poulsen to equalise. And Werner himself turned the game around in the 85th minute after a superb assist from Forsberg, sending Leipzig into second place.
Man of the Match
He may have cost Leipzig a goal in the first half, but as well as hitting the crossbar before the break, Werner certainly made up for it in the second half. His tireless work up front alongside Poulsen was eventually rewarded with a goal and assist.
- Leipzig have picked up 13 of a possible 15 points on home soil this season, dropping two only against Gladbach in a 2-2 draw.
- Timo Werner scored his sixth goal of the season.
- Leipzig's top scorer Werner and Hannover's leading marksman Harnik played three years together at Stuttgart, with whom they were relegated from the Bundesliga in 2016.
- Leipzig now sit only one point behind Bayern Munich in the Bundesliga.
- Hannover suffered only their third defeat of the season.
Leipzig: Gulacsi – Klostermann, Upamecano, Konate, Halstenberg – Sabitzer, Demme, Laimer (Keita 58'), Bruma (Forsberg 53') – Poulsen, Werner (Kampl 90+1')
Coach: Ralph Hasenhüttl
Hannover: Tschauner - Anton, Sane, Sorg - Korb (Meier 87'), Ostrzolek - Schwegler, Bakalorz - Klaus (Harnik 66'), Bebou - Jonathas (Füllkrug 76')
Coach: Andre Breitenreiter
Watch: Poulsen on his partnership with Werner!