Goals: 0-1 Zimmermann (47'), 1-1 Augustin (68')
Fortuna showed no sign of nerves as they kept Peter Gulacsi busy in the Leipzig goal before Niko Gießelmann flashed a low shot just wide of the far post. Marvin Ducksch also gave Gulacsi some work on his 100th appearance for Leipzig, who had a moment of joy in the final seconds of the half when Jean-Kevin Augustin tucked in a rebound, but the offside flag cut short the celebrations.
Fortuna made an equally bold start to the second half and this time they were rewarded for their efforts with summer signing Zimmermann placing a shot past Gulacsi from the edge of the penalty area. Kevin Kampl curled an effort wide as the hosts pressed, and they levelled midway through the half when Augustin dinked the ball over Michael Rensing, this time beating the offside trap. A spectacular overhead kick from Matheus Cunha just missed the far post as Leipzig did all the attacking, but they had Gulacsi to thank for saving them a point with his fingertips turning a Ducksch effort onto the crossbar late on.
@augustin_29's second #Bundesliga goal of the season earns @dierotenbullen a point as #RBLF95 finishes 1-1. . . . #RBL #RBLeipzig #DieRotenBullen #Football #Soccer #Germany #fussball #futbol #goals #lovefootball #thebeautifulgame #instasport #team #soccerislife #footy #skills #matchday #player #match #footballgame #ball
- Fortuna are now winless in their last seven Bundesliga matches, dating back to 2012/13 when they were relegated to the second tier.
- Mukiele made his Bundesliga debut as one of four changes in the Leipzig starting XI compared to Matchday 1.
- Zimmermann's goal was his second in the Bundesliga, five and a half years after his first for Greuther Fürth.
- Augustin's goal means he now has five goals for Leipzig this season in competitive matches; two in the Bundesliga.
- The two teams faced each other for the first time at the top level. The match is the 907th pairing in the Bundesliga.
Leipzig: Gulacsi – Mukiele, Demme (c) (Poulsen 86'), Mukiele, Saracchi – Forsberg, Ilsanker, Kampl, Bruma (Sabitzer 54') – Werner, Augustin (Matheus Cunha 71')
Unused substitutes: Mvogo, Orban, Klostermann, Laimer
Coach: Ralf Rangnick
Düsseldorf: Rensing – Zimmer, Ayhan, Hoffmann, Kaminski, Gießelmann – Zimmermann (Stöger 80'), Sobotka (c) – Morales – Hennings (Raman 69'), Ducksch (Karaman 90')
Unused substitutes: Wolf, Lukebakio, Contento, Bormuth
Absentees: Fink (calf), Froese (ankle), Nielsen (knock), Wiesner (pubic bone)
Coach: Friedhelm Funkel
Watch: Werner discusses finding form and fitness again after a short pre-season