Goals: 1-0 Augustin (29'), 1-1 Reus (38')
With five points separating second and sixth, both sides knew the value of three points here, and the possible rewards contributed to an open and entertaining first half. After Timo Werner and Michy Batshuayi were denied, Borussia saw two goals correctly ruled out offside before Jean-Kevin Augustin slid in the opener. BVB fought back before the break, however, and were level through Marco Reus, who coolly finished after rounding the goalkeeper.
The second period was a more scrappy affair as both sides were let down by a poor final pass. Batshuayi spurned a great chance when he missed his kick with the goal gaping in the half’s most clear-cut chance, while Keita sliced wide a promising position for the home side. In the dying minutes, substitute Bruma’s cross drifted agonisingly wide of Dortmund post, while Borussia seemed content to wind down the clock and play for a draw.
The result means Dortmund miss the opportunity to move into second ahead of Schalke but retain a three-point lead over Leipzig, who remain sixth.
- Marco Reus has now scored in three games running since returning from injury.
- Reus has also scored against every current Bundesliga club, including against Dortmund.
- Jean-Kevin Augustin has opened the scoring four times for Leipzig this season.
- Leipzig have lost two Bundesliga games in a row for the first time this season.
- Leipzig ended BVB's club record 41-game unbeaten home run in the Bundesliga with a 3-2 win in the reverse fixture.
- Stöger is the first coach in Dortmund history to go unbeaten in his first ten Bundesliga games in charge (W5, D5).
Leipzig: Gulacsi – Laimer, Orban (c), Upamecano, Klostermann – Sabitzer, Kampl (Ilsanker 66'), Keita, Forsberg (Bruma 61') – Augustin (Poulsen 75'), Werner
Unused substitutes: Mvogo, Bernardo, Demme, Ilsanker, Bruma, Lookman, Poulsen
Absentees: Halstenberg (knee)
Coach: Ralph Hasenhüttl
Dortmund: Bürki, Piszczek, Akanji, Toprak, Schmelzer (c) - Weigl, Dahoud - Schürrle, Götze (Philipp 78'), Reus (Pulisic 88') - Batshuayi
Unused substitutes: Weidenfeller, Sokratis, Zagadou, Castro, Sahin
Absentees: Durm (ankle), Guerreiro (muscular), Rode (pelvis), Kagawa (ankle), Yarmolenko (tendon)
Coach: Peter Stöger
Watch: Schürrle's delight at having Reus back fit again