Nuremberg 3-0 Fortuna Düsseldorf
Goals: 1-0 Behrens (pen, 28’), 2-0 Ishak (64’), 3-0 Palacios (78')
These two sides met on the final day of last season’s Bundesliga 2 as Fortuna won 3-2 to finish top, but this encounter was a much more cagy affair and it was 20 minutes before the first shot in anger as Nuremberg’s Lukas Mühl fired wide after a corner. Top scorer in the second tier last year, Fortuna’s Marvin Ducksch tested Fabian Bredlow in the hosts’ goal from the edge of the box before Der Club went up the other end and Dodi Lukebakio mistimed a tackle on Tim Leibold in the box to earn the home side a penalty. Captain Behrens stepped up to fire the ball down the middle and past former Bayern Munich goalkeeper Michael Rensing. Lukebakio had a golden chance to make amends minutes later as Düsseldorf broke away from a Nuremberg corner, but the Watford loanee was denied one-on-one by the feet of Bredlow.
Mikael Ishak thought he’d headed the home side into a two-goal lead shortly after the break after Virgil Misidjan’s chip into the box, but the linesman’s flag cut short Bavarian celebrations. Just seconds later the same happened to the travelling Düsseldorf supporters when Ducksch tapped home a supposed equaliser, but once again the linesman had his flag raised for offside. Ishak did have his goal shortly after, though, when Fortuna failed to deal with a long clearance and the Swede was given the freedom of the Düsseldorf half to tuck home a second. The three points were finally secured when substitute Federico Palacios latched onto a delightful through-ball from Eduard Löwen and chipped over the onrushing Rensing.
- Fortuna have lost their last five Bundesliga matches against Nuremberg.
- Düsseldorf won their last two Bundesliga 2 visits to FCN, but have never won there in the top flight, claiming just one draw in 13 visits.
- Behrens scored his first Bundesliga goal. He bagged 14 in Bundesliga 2 last season, which was the most of any midfielder.
- It was also Der Club's first before half-time this season.
- Nuremberg and Düsseldorf respectively finished second and first in Bundesliga 2 last season. Both sides won their away game.
- Fortuna came from 2-0 down on the final day of last season to win 3-2 at Nuremberg and claim top spot.
Nuremberg: Bredlow – Valentini, Margreitter, Mühl, Leibold – Löwen, Petrak (Erras 90'), Behrens (c) – Pereira (Palacios 46’) – Misidjan, Ishak (Knöll 87')
Unused subs: Mathenia, Bauer, Kubo, Fuchs
Absentees: Ewerton (ankle), Lippert (cruciate ligament), Salli (ill)
Coach: Michael Köllner
Düsseldorf: Rensing – Zimmermann, Ayhan, Kaminski, Gießelmann – Bodzek (c) – Zimmer, Morales, Usami (Lovren 58’), Lukebakio (Hennings 68’) – Ducksch
Unused subs: Theißen, Nielsen, Stöger, Sobottka, Bormuth
Absentees: Contento (cruciate ligament), Duman (groin), Karaman (muscle), Raman (knee), Wiesner (pubic bone), Wolf (neck)
Coach: Friedhelm Funkel