- Hummels lines up alongside future team-mate Boateng at centre-back.
- The Germany international takes 66 per cent of the vote
- Chelsea FC loanee Andreas Christensen finished in second
Mats Hummels stormed to victory in the centre-back polls to become the second Borussia Dortmund representative in the Team of the Season.
The FIFA World Cup-winning centre-back was the overwhelming favourite to partner his international and soon-to-be club teammate Jerome Boateng at centre-back. Hummels took 66 percent of the combined vote across English and German Twitter accounts. Borussia Mönchengladbach's Andreas Christensen was the runner up with 12.5 percent of the combined vote, though he was third behind Bayer 04 Leverkusen's Ömer Toprak on the English side of the contest. FC Schalke's Joel Matip limped home in fourth place with 9.5 percent of the total votes cast.
Club: Borussia Dortmund
Dortmund's team captain was key to the five-time Bundesliga champions' impressive season, the 2014 World Cup winner marshaling the BVB defence with his strong build-up play and natural authority.
- Has won 69.7 per cent of his aerial challenges.
- Has scored twice and provided two assists.
- Has completed 86.1 per cent of his passes.
Club: Borussia Mönchengladbach
This 20-year-old has taken the Bundesliga by storm, immediately winning a place in the Gladbach starting XI after joining in the summer. One to hardly ever commit a foul, the Denmark international has impressed with unique vision and passing game.
- Has missed just three Bundesliga matches.
- Has scored three goals including a brace in the 5-1 win over SV Werder Bremen on Matchday 20.
- Has won 66.5 per cent of his challenges.
Club: Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The versatile defensive specialist has been a core member of the Leverkusen team for years, but the past season was one of his best. The Germany-raised Turkey international has formed a strong defensive partnership with fellow-nominee Jonathan Tah.
- Has won 63.9 per cent of his challenges on the ground.
- Has completed 77.1 per cent of his passes.
Club: FC Schalke 04
A real threat going forward, the younger brother of FC Ingolstadt 04 centre-back Marvin once again proved an aerial threat and one of the strongest challengers of his team in the 2015/16 season.
- Is one of four outfield players yet to miss a minute of action.
- Has had a hand in five goals (three scored, two assists).
- Has won 73.4 per cent of his aerial duels.