- Six clean sheets with just 17 goals conceded vouch for defensive solidity.
- 12th place at turn of the year.
- Manuel Baum Augsburg's third coach in 2016.
At the halfway point of the 2016/17 Bundesliga season, it is time for bundesliga.com to dissect the campaigns of each club so far.
Here we look at FC Augsburg...
Story so far
Following the departure of Markus Weinzierl, who had managed FC Augsburg through the most successful era in their history, it was time to turn the page this summer with Dirk Schuster calling the shots. While spending much of the time in the bottom third of the standings, the Bavarians have never really flirted with the relegation zone, but that was still not quite enough to convince club bosses that Schuster was taking them forward. He was replaced after just 166 days in the job by Manuel Baum, hitherto head of the club's youth academy. With four points from the last two fixtures of the year, Baum has led them into a calm although not altogether safe 12th position.
Watch: Augsburg snatched a point from Dortmund on Matchday 16:
Star player: Marwin Hitz
The Swiss custodian has once again provided the solid foundations upon which Augsburg's season has been built. The 29-year-old has been an ever-present for the Bavarians, conceding just 17 goals in 16 games, with only five clubs conceding fewer this term – and they are all currently in the top seven. Hitz's run in the team also includes six clean sheets.
Honourable mention: Kostas Stafylidis
Not one to shirk responsibility, Stafylidis has become a firm fans' favourite in Augsburg for the way he wears his heart on his sleeve. He also chipped in with goals early on in the season against SV Werder Bremen and 1. FSV Mainz 05, all the while contributing to that impressive defensive record.
- Manuel Baum became the first Augsburg coach to win his first Bundesliga game in charge.
- Over three quarters of Augsburg's goals this season have come in the second half.
- In Marwin Hitz, Daniel Baier and Paul Verhaegh, Augsburg have three players who have been on the field for every minute of their 16 games this season.