Mainz pulled level with Stuttgart in the Bundesliga standings after two goals from on-fire Yoshinori Muto and a strike from Gerrit Hartmann condemned the visitors to an eighth away loss of the season.
Goals: 0-1 Badstuber (19'), 1-1 Muto (45'), 2-1 Muto (54'), 3-1 Holtmann (64'), 3-2 Ginczek (90')
Hoping to halt a run of six Bundesliga games without a win, the hosts started strongly with the lively Muto drawing a fine save from visiting goalkeeper, Ron-Robert Zieler. For their part, Stuttgart's eagerness to rid themselves of the tag 'worst team on the road this term' paid dividends when Holger Badstuber's effort following a set-piece hit several legs before going over the line. The 05ers rallied, and shortly after the disappointment of seeing a Suat Serdar effort ruled out by VAR, home fans were celebrating Muto's sublime strike from distance that flew in for 1-1.
The scene of his first-ever Bundesliga goal in 2005, Mario Gomez's return to Mainz this time around was a less celebratory affair, with the veteran Germany striker limping off injured shortly after the restart. Things grew darker still for Die Schwaben when Muto added his second of the day at the second attempt, the Japan international's initial effort having been parried by Zieler. Now in the ascendency, and seeking to close out a fifth win on home turf this term, Sandro Schwarz's men pulled clear of their beleaguered opponents thanks to Holtmann's drive, and not even Daniel Ginczek's late header could spoil the hosts' party.
- Muto's first of the day was his 17th Bundesliga goal, but his first from outside the box.
- Badstuber's opener was only the third Bundesliga goal of his career, his second also came against Mainz on Matchday 2.
- Prior to this game, Mainz were six Bundesliga games without a win.
- The 05ers stopped a run of five consecutive losses against newly promoted sides.
- All five of Mainz's wins this season have come on home turf.
- Stuttgart have only picked up one point on the road this season and are the Bundesliga's worst side away from home.
Mainz: Zentner – Hack, Gbamin, Diallo, Brosinski (c) – de Jong, Lazta, Serdar (Bell 74') – Quaison, Holtmann (Donati 65') – Muto (Berggreen 83')
Unused subs: Huth, Maxim, Ujah, De Blasis
Absentees: Adler (tendon), Bungert (buttocks)
Coach: Sandro Schwarz
Stuttgart: Zieler - Pavard, Baumgartl, Badstuber, Aogo – Gentner (c), Ascacibar - Insua (Kaminski 46'), Özcan, Donis (Burnic 65') - Gomez (Ginczek 51')
Unused subs: Meyer, Asano, Beck
Absentees: Mane (thigh), Zimmermann (knee ligaments)
Coach: Hannes Wolf