Goals: 0-1 Ji (82’), 1-1 Ujah (87’), 2-1 Maxim (90+3')
Michael Gregoritsch thought he had given the visitors the lead inside seven minutes after latching onto Martin Hinteregger’s defence-splitting pass, but the Austria international was adjudged to be in an offside position and the goal was chalked off. Gregoritsch’s disallowed strike seemed to wake Sandro Schwarz’s charges from their slumber, with Robin Quaison spurning two golden opportunities to put the Zerofivers ahead. The Swedish striker headed over the bar from point-blank range mid-way through the first half, before seeing a goal-bound effort blocked by the retreating Hinteregger seven minutes later.
There was nothing to separate the two sides at the interval, and the game followed a similar pattern after the restart. Bote Baku fired wide from Jonathan Burkardt’s cross inside the first minute of the second half, before a powerful Ja-Cheol Koo header was tipped over the crossbar by Florian Müller at the other end. Dong-Won Ji appeared to have earned FCA all three points when he fired a low shot into the bottom corner with eight minutes remaining, but Anthony Ujah bundled home the equaliser five minutes later before Alexandru Maxim's low effort found the bottom corner to earn Manuel Baum’s side a memorable victory.
- Mainz captain Niko Bungert was named in the starting line-up for the first time since May 2017.
- Eighteen-year-old Burkardt made his Bundesliga debut at the OPEL Arena.
- The teenager is the first ever player born in 2000 to start a league game for the Zerofivers.
- Nineteen-year-old Ahmet Gürleyen was also handed his Bundesliga bow against Augsburg.
- Ji had gone over 1,000 minutes without finding the net in the Bundesliga before scoring the opener at Mainz. His last goal came in December 2016.
- After scoring just nine minutes after entering the fray in Mainz's victory over Stuttgart, Ujah cancelled out Ji's opener 14 minutes after coming off the bench against Augsburg.
Mainz: Müller – Brosinski, Bungert (c) (Gürleyen 78'), Niakhate, Aaron – Burkardt, Kunde, Baku (Maxim 86'), Onisiwo – Quaison, Mateta (Ujah 73')
Unused subs: Zentner, Bussmann, Mwene, Boetius
Absentees: Adler, Berggreen (both knee), Gbamin (groin), Hack (foot), Holtmann (tendon), Latza (hernia), Öztunali (thigh)
Coach: Sandro Schwarz
Augsburg: Giefer – Schmid, Gouweleeuw, Hinteregger, Max – Khedira, Baier (c) – Richter (Caiuby 61'), Hahn, Koo – Gregoritsch (Ji 74', Cordova 85')
Unused subs: Leneis, Götze, Framberger, Danso
Absentees: Finnbogason (knee), Jakob (knee), Jensen (ankle), Schieber (joint)
Coach: Manuel Baum