Goals: 0-1 Gregoritsch (22'), 0-2 Finnbogason (43' pen.), 1-2 Holtmann (85'), 1-3 Finnbogason (86')
Mainz were first to pick up their stride and they almost had the lead in the eighth minute when Danny Latza's volley came back off the post. The hosts continued to probe, but Augsburg's ruthless streak which has gathered momentum this season helped them take the lead with Michael Gregoritsch finding the top corner from Philipp Max's seventh assist of the season. A foul by Robin Zentner on Gregoritsch gave Alfred Finnbogason the opportunity to double Augsburg's lead, which the Icelandic forward duly took for his seventh of the season – a new personal best.
Sandro Schmidt made two changes at the interval, but it was almost as if Augsburg had added a few extra players as the wall covering their goal appeared reinforced. The hosts finally found a way through with five minutes remaining, Holtmann latching on to a long ball before striking into the far corner. Thoughts of a comeback were soon dashed, though, as Finnbogason struck within a minute to restore Augsburg's two-goal lead and secure the spoils.
Mainz: Zentner – Holtmann, Bell (c), Diallo, Donati (76' Fischer) – Gbamin, Latza – Öztunali (46' Serdar), Maxim, De Blasis (46' Berggreen) - Kodro
Subs: Huth, Quaison, Frei, Hack
Absentees: Adler (thigh), Brosinski (not in squad) Jairo (ankle), Muto (back)
Coach: Sandro Schwarz
Augsburg: Hitz - Opare, Gouweleeuw, Hinteregger, Max - Baier (c), Koo (59' Danso) – Thommy (39. Heller), Gregoritsch, Caiuby – Finnbogason (88' Cordova)
Subs: Luthe, Moravek, Ji, Framberger
Absentees: Khedira (thigh)
Coach: Manuel Baum
Watch: Finnbogason: "We have to keep this run going!"
- Philipp Max now has seven assists this season, more than anybody else in the Bundesliga.
- Three of Max's past four assists have been for Gregoritsch goals.
- Gregoritsch has scored all four of his Bundesliga penalties, three this season. His seven goals this term is a new single-season personal record.
- The 05ers' unbeaten home run ended at four, while their seven-game unbeaten run against Augsburg has also now ended.
- There have been 28 goals in the last eight meetings (almost four per game) and this fixture still has never ended goalless.