Goals: 1-0 Uth (80')
Stuttgart’s Berkay Özcan was presented with a glorious opportunity to break the deadlock inside five minutes, but the 19-year-old could only find the gloves of Hoffenheim’s Oliver Baumann when through on goal. Hoffenheim threatened in dribs and drabs, with Stuttgart academy graduate Serge Gnabry firing wide and Uth volleying past the post from close range.
Stuttgart blew another golden opening at the start of the second half. Josip Brekalo supplied the eye-of-the-needle pass, but substitute striker Takuma Asano - on in the 27th minute for Anastasios Donis - fired straight at Baumann. The contest appeared to be heading for a draw, when Uth bundled in Pavel Kaderabek's cut-back with ten minutes of normal time remaining to give Hoffenheim the lead. Andrej Kramaric thought he'd added another in injury time, but the goal was chalked off for offside.
- Uth has scored eight times in the Bundesliga this season - his joint-best return in the German top flight.
- Uth's last five goals have fallen after the 81st minute.
- Gnabry was involved in seven of Hoffenheim's eight goal attempts before being substituted in the 77th minute.
- Stuttgart have suffered three consecutive league defeats for the first time under Hannes Wolf.
- Stuttgart defender Andreas Beck faced his former employers for the first time, while Hoffenheim midfielder Lukas Rupp lined up against his old club.
- Hoffenheim have won five of their 17 meetings with Stuttgart.
Watch: Serge Gnabry scores from his own half against RB Leipzig!
Hoffenheim: Baumann - Kaderabek, Vogt (c), Hübner - Rupp (Kramaric 66'), Demirbay, Geiger (Grillitsch 62'), Posch, Schulz - Gnabry (Szalai 77'), Uth
Unused subs: Kobel, Zuber, Amiri, Akpoguma
Absentees: Wagner (Achilles)
Coach: Julian Nagelsmann
Stuttgart: Zieler - Beck, Pavard, Baumgartl, Badstuber, Insua - Ascacibar, Gentner (c) - Akolo (Brekalo 38'), Özcan (Aogo 80') - Donis (Asano 27')
Unused subs: Grahl, Terodde, Mangala, Kaminski
Absentees: Zimmermann (knee), Mane (knee), Meyer (thigh)
Coach: Hannes Wolf