Ten-man Hoffenheim pulled off an unlikely comeback from 2-0 down to secure a 2-2 draw away to Lyon to keep their hopes of qualifying for the UEFA Champions League knockout stages alive on Wednesday.
Lyon 2-2 Hoffenheim
Goals: 1-0 Fekir (19'), 2-0 Ndombele (28'), 2-1 Kramaric (65'), 2-2 Kaderabek (90+2')
Julian Nagelsmann's side were without a win in Group F going into this fixture and therefore started strongly in an bid to remedy that. And while they made all the early running they struggled to find gaps in a well-drilled Lyon side, who took the lead against the run of play when Nabil Fekir poked home from close range. Tanguy Ndombele's deflected strike around the half-hour mark from the edge of the penalty area put the home team on course for a victory that would have left Hoffenheim all but eliminated from the competition.
Defeat appeared to be a certainly for the visitors when Kasim Adams was sent off early in the second half for a second bookable offence, but Hoffenheim clearly had other ideas. Andrej Kramaric pulled one back with a fine shot from the edge of the Lyon box, but the home team should subsequently have killed the game off, only to squander a number of presentable opportunities. That set up a nail-biting finale in which Hoffenheim threw everything forward in search of an equaliser that they eventually found when Pavel Kaderabek prodded in at the back post from Kramaric's free-kick. Hoffenheim now return to Bundesliga action where they host Augsburg on Saturday.
- The thrilling 3-3 draw on Matchday 3 was the first competitive meeting between Hoffenheim and Lyon.
- Nagelsmann is the Champions League's youngest ever coach, having made his debut in September at 31 years and 58 days old.
- TSG had never faced French opposition before Matchday 3, but OL have now faced Bundesliga clubs 27 times (W11, D5, L11).
- Joelinton is Hoffenheim’s top scorer so far this campaign with eight goals in 15 appearances.
- Nelson has five goals in six Bundesliga matches for TSG.
- Lyon have lost two of their last four home games against German clubs.
Lyon: Lopes - Rafael, Marcelo (c), Denayer, Mendy - Ndombele (Cheikh 88'), Tousart, Aouar – Fekir (Dembele 74'), Depay (Traore 87'), Morel
Unused substitutes: Gorgelin, Terrier, Marcal, Tete
Absentees: Gouiri (cruciate ligament)
Coach: Bruno Genesio
Hoffenheim: Baumann – Adams, Vogt (c), Bicakcic – Kaderabek, Grillitsch (Nelson 57'), Demirbay (Nordtveit 79'), Schulz – Kramaric, Belfodil (Szalai 67'), Joelinton
Unused substitutes: Kobel, Brenet, Akpoguma, Grifo
Absentees: Amiri (foot), Hübner (concussion), Rupp (cruciate ligament)
Coach: Julian Nagelsmann