Goals: 1-0 Kramaric (57'), 1-1 Petersen (pen, 66')
Having picked up just one win in their last seven Bundesliga encounters, the hosts were facing a sense of urgency against a visiting Freiburg team who had lost just once in their previous eleven top-flight games. In a first half of very few opportunities, home full back Serge Gnabry provided the highlights. The Bayern Munich loanee caused plenty of problems down the flank and even produced the game's first big chance, teeing up Dennis Geiger following a penetrating run, only for the midfielder to fire wide.
Germany international Gnabry picked up where he left off after the restart, testing Alexander Schwolow with an effort the goalkeeper did well to palm away. With momentum on their side and sensing the chance to avenge a Matchday 7 loss against Freiburg, Julian Nagelsmann's side finally hit the front thanks to Kramaric's expertly struck free-kick. The lead would last less than ten minutes. A scorer of ten of Freiburg's previous 17 goals, and eleven in all this season prior to this game, Petersen increased that tally from the penalty spot after the striker was initially fouled by Oliver Baumann.
- Andrej Kramaric has scored five goals in his last four Hoffenheim appearances.
- The Croatian forward has now scored in four consecutive Bundesliga matches for the first time
- Petersen's 12 goals this term is a personal best for the forward in the Bundesliga.
- Hoffenheim have conceded as many goals after 24 matches as they did over the course of the entire 2016/17 campaign (37).
- Julian Nagelsmann’s side have picked up just six points from their last eight Bundesliga games.
- Freiburg have only lost one of their last 12 Bundesliga games. Only Bayern Munich and Bayer Leverkusen have fared better in that time.
Hoffenheim: Baumann – Hübner, Vogt (c), Akpoguma (Schulz 82') – Kaderabek, Zulj (Rupp 62'), Grillitsch, Geiger, Gnabry – Kramaric, Szalai (Uth 71')
Unused subs: Stolz, , Bicakcic, , Amiri, Zuber,
Absentees: Demirbay (knee and ankle), Posch (pubic bone)
Coach: Julian Nagelsmann
Freiburg: Schwolow – Stenzel, Gulde, Söyüncü, Günter – Höler (Ravet 76'), Abrashi, Koch, Terrazzino (Kath 59') – Haberer (Kleindienst 90'), Petersen
Unused subs: Gikiewicz, Lienhart, Kübler, Schuster
Absentees: Niederlechner (knee)
Coach: Christian Streich