Goals: 0-1 Khedira (8'), 0-2 Finnbogason, 1-2 Bebou (72')
There was very little to choose between the sides in a fiercely contested first half, with both cramming the midfield in a bid to gain an edge on proceedings. It was the visitors who went ahead, though, when Waldemir Anton dithered when trying to clear a corner, allowing Rani Khedira to nip in and turn the ball over the line at the back post. Ihlas Bebou went closest for Hannover at the other end, but his glancing header from Pirmin Schwegler's free-kick was well saved by Andreas Luthe.
Augsburg doubled their advantage in the second half when Finnbogason converted from the penalty spot after Genki Haraguchi handled Daniel Baier's goal-bound shot. The guests appeared to be on course for a comfortable victory until Bebou reduced the deficit, lashing in a superb half-volley from the edge of the area. Hannover threw everything forward in the closing stages as they looked to force a draw and almost snatched a point when Henrik Weydandt's header appeared to be destined for the bottom corner, but Luthe made an outstanding save to keep it out and preserve the win for his side.
- Khedira's strike was the earliest Augsburg have found the net in 2018. It was just his second ever Bundesliga goal, and first away from home.
- Finnbogason has now scored all six penalties he has taken in the Bundesliga, including two this season.
- The Icelandic striker has scored five goals in four Bundesliga outings this season.
- Frederik Jensen made his Bundesliga debut for Augsburg in this game. He is the first Finnish player to represent the club in Germany's top flight.
- Bebou's goal was his second in the Bundesliga this season.
- Augsburg's win was just their second in their last eight Bundesliga matches.
Hannover: Esser – Elez (Weydandt 65'), Anton, Wimmer – Bebou, Schwegler (c) (Muslija 46'), Walace, Albornoz – Haraguchi – Wood, Fülkrug
Unused subs: Tschauner, Asano, Fossum, Ostrzolek, Sorg
Absentees: Felipe (suspended), Hübers, Maina, Prib (all knee), Sarenren Bazee (unspecified)
Coach: Andre Breitenreiter
Augsburg: Luthe – Gouweleeuw, Khedira, Hinteregger – Schmid, Baier (c), Koo (Jensen 68'), Max – Hahn, Finnbogason (Danso 75'), Richter (Gregoritsch 46')
Unused subs: Leneis, Götze, Moravek, Framberger
Absentees: Caiuby (unspecified), Jakob (knee), Ji (ankle), Schieber (joint mouse)
Coach: Manuel Baum