Goals: 0-1 Gregoritsch (26’), 1-1 Sane (37’), 1-2 Kacar (45'), 1-3 Gregoritsch (83’)
Both sides made a solid start to what proved to be an entertaining opening to the game yet it was Augsburg - winless in their previous five away games - who hit the front, Gregoritsch latching onto Caiuby's accurate centre for his 10th top-flight goal of the campaign. Beaten in their previous two Bundesliga outings, the hosts nonetheless mustered the resolve to hit back, with Salif Sane firing a long-range special that brushed the fingers of goalkeeper Marwin Hitz on its way in. Recently returned from a one-game ban, Brazilian Caiuby turned provider for Augsburg once again, this time teeing up Kacar who headed home to reestablish the visitors' lead.
Boasting 15 more points on the board this time around compared to their 2015/16 relegation season, Andre Breitenreiter's men were nonetheless reluctant to put their feet up on the current campaign just yet. A concerted second half effort saw Waldemar Anton and Felipe menacing while Niclas Füllkrug and Iver Fossum also looked to create. In the end, however, a solid display from goalkeeper Hitz and one more goal from the on-fire Gregoritsch ensured that the Bavarian side left the HDI Arena with a big win.
- Prior to this game, Augsburg had picked up just one point from their last four games and were winless in their last five on the road.
- Gregoritsch took his top-flight tally to 11 goals, his best ever in a Bundesliga campaign.
- Kacar, meanwhile, scored for the first time this season.
- Hannover have 32 points on the board after 26 matches.
- Hannover's Ihlas Bebou and Augsburg's Marcel Heller have recorded the fastest sprint times of all players in the Bundesliga this season.
Hannover: Tschauner (c) – Sorg (Schwegler 45'), Sané, Felipe (Karaman 84'), Albornoz – Klaus, Anton, Fossum, Bebou – Harnik (Jonathas 64'), Füllkrug
Unused subs: Esser, Ostrzolek, Korb, Bakalorz
Coach: Andre Breitenreiter
Augsburg: Hitz – Schmid (Janker 73'), Kacar, Hinteregger, Max – Khedira, Gregoritsch, Baier (c) (Cordova 90') – Koo, Richter (Heller 71'), Caiuby
Unused subs: Luthe, Jakob, Bekiroglu, Parker
Absentees: Danso (ankle), Finnbogason (calf), Framberger (ligament damage), Gouweleeuw (rehabilitation)
Coach: Manuel Baum