Hamburg 0-0 St. Pauli
Apart from an early header from Pauli captain Johannes Flum that went straight at goalkeeper Julian Pollersbeck, HSV dominated the opening 45 minutes in this atmospheric derby. However, chances were few and far between. Scottish defender David Bates and teenage German striker Fiete Arp both had headed attempts on goal but neither were able to test Robin Himmelmann in the visitors’ goal. Pauli did manage a threatening move moments before the break when left-back Daniel Bubulla broke forward and cut back for Mats Möller Daehli, but the Norwegian’s effort was blocked before testing Pollersbeck.
The home side remained the most likely after the break and carved out their best chance of the game when VfB Stuttgart loanee Orel Mangala slipped through South Korea international Hwang Hee-Chan, but he poked wide at the second attempt. HSV coach Christian Titz brought on top scorer Pierre-Michel Lasogga in place of Arp with 20 minutes remaining as he looked to force a win, but it was almost Pauli who claimed the spoils deep into injury time when Cenk Sahin forced Pollersbeck into a back-tracking save to keep out his goal-bound 40-yard effort. In the end, there was no way through for either side in front of a sold-out 57,000 fans at the Volksparkstadion and the city rivals remain just a point apart in the table after eight games.
- HSV have now gone three matches without a win against their city rivals.
- It was the first goalless draw between the Hamburg clubs since March 1990.
- These two sides have met 18 times, with Hamburg coming out on top on nine occasions and St. Pauli only twice, with seven draws.
- Sixteen of those previous meetings came in the Bundesliga, with Hamburg winning 6-0 in their only DFB Cup meeting in 1986.
- Hamburg were the only founding member of the Bundesliga never to be relegated until they dropped down a division for the first time in over 54 years in May 2018.
Hamburg: Pollersbeck - Sakai, Bates, van Drongelen, Douglas Santos - Mangala - Janjicic, Holtby, Hunt (c) (Ito 53’), Hwang (Narey 65’) – Arp (Lasogga 72’)
Unused subs: Michel, Lacriox, Moritz, Steinmann
Absentees: Jung (knee), Papadopoulos (knee), Jairo (knee)
Coach: Christian Titz
St. Pauli: Himmelmann - Dudziak, Ziereis, Avevor, Buballa – Flum (c) (Zehir 83’), Knoll - Cenk Sahin, Buchtmann, Möller Daehli (Neudecker 77’) – Diamantakos (Veerman 73’)
Unused subs: Bordersen, Miyachi, Nehrig, Allagui
Absentees: Hornschuh (fitness), Kalla (fitness), Zander (ankle), Coordes (ankle)
Coach: Markus Kauczinski