The football flowed and chances were spurned in a high-octane first half at the Volksparkstadion. Leipzig forward Jean-Kevin Augustin struck the outside of the post with a deft back heel, before former RBL defender Kyriakos Papadopoulos got a crucial block on a goal-bound effort from Willi Orban. HSV responded with quick-fire efforts from Filip Kostic and Walace, but the pendulum swung back the other way late in the half, with Video Assist reversing a penalty decision against Albin Ekdal after a tangle with Werner.
Leipzig spent the majority of the second half on the front foot as Bruma curled tamely down the throat of Christian Mathenia. It looked like it might be one of those days for Leipzig, until Keita collected a quick free-kick and drove an unstoppable effort into the top corner from 25 yards. A clinical breakaway goal from Werner put the seal on the win - HSV's first Bundesliga defeat of the season.
Man of the match
Leipzig's driving force and catalyst for the win, Keita was at his box-to-box best in midfield. The Guinean synergist left the field of play clutching his left groin, though. Will he be fit to face Monaco when RBL take their UEFA Champions League bow against Monaco in midweek?
- All six of Leipzig's Bundesliga goals this season have come in the second half.
- Keita has opened the scoring with five of his nine Bundesliga goals to date.
- Leipzig's 4-0 win in Hamburg on Matchday 3 last season remains their highest-ever Bundesliga away win.
- Leipzig's Bruma made his full Bundesliga debut.
- Hamburg goalkeeper Mathenia made his 50th Bundesliga appearance.
- Kevin Kampl grabbed an assist for Werner on his Leipzig debut.
Hamburg: Mathenia – Diekmeier (c), Papadopoulos, Jung, van Drongelen (Sakai 71') – Ekdal (Schipplock 74') , Walace – Hahn, Holtby, Kostic (Waldschmidt 37') – Wood
Coach: Markus Gisdol
Leipzig: Gulacsi – Bernardo (Klostermann 59'), Upamecano, Orban (c), Halstenberg – Keita, Demme – Keita, Bruma (Kampl 69') – Augustin (Poulsen 78') , Werner
Coach: Ralph Hasenhüttl
Watch: Werner reflects on Leipzig's win