It was a tale of three penalties - two scored and one missed - as Freiburg and Hertha Berlin played out a dramatic draw in Baden-Württemberg, Janik Haberer netting from the spot before Salomon Kalou spurned one chance and then scored with another from 11 metres.
Goals: 1-0 Haberer (pen 52'), 1-1 Kalou (pen 81')
Missed penalty: Kalou 77'
Although failing to match their impressive start to 2016/17 this season, Freiburg displayed plenty of ambition in the early stages of this game and went close to taking the lead when striker Florian Niederlechner nodded wide early on. Hertha, meanwhile, were yet to win away this term, prompting Vedad Ibisevic and Salomon Kalou to sniff for openings at the other end. However, visiting goalkeeper Rune Jarstein was ultimately the busier of the two goalkeepers in an eventful opening 45 minutes, the Hertha custodian impressively denying Christian Günter and then Pascal Stenzel as the hosts looked to forge ahead.
You can’t expect @scfreiburg fans to keep quiet when you put the side in the lead @janikhaberer19 😄 . #SCFBSC #SCF #scfreiburg #1904 #freiburg #Bundesliga #Football #Soccer #Germany #fussball #futbol #goals #lovefootball #thebeautifulgame #instasport #team #soccerislife #footy #skills #matchday #player #match #footballgame #ball
Unbeaten in eight home games prior to this, Freiburg were presented with an excellent opportunity to extend that run when Niklas Stark fouled Christian Günter in the area. After a consultation with VAR, a penalty was confirmed and up stepped Janik Haberer to slot home his first goal of the campaign. Niederlechner and Haberer then spurned further opportunities as the hosts looked to secure maximum points. The misses would prove costly, with Hertha incredibly awarded two penalties in quick succession. Salomon Kalou skied the first, but made no mistake at the second time of asking to secure his team a valuable point.
- Prior to scoring here, Janik Haberer last found the target on 29 January .... against Hertha Berlin.
- For the first time this season, three penalties were awarded in a game.
- Freiburg are unbeaten in nine home matches, dating back to last season.
- Hertha have taken two points from four matches, meaning they occupy a place in the bottom half of the table for the first time since the 2015/16 campaign.
- The Old Lady are yet to win on their travels this season, and have lost 11 of their last 14 away games.
- Hertha are now winless in their last five trips to Freiburg (D4, L1).
Watch: Kalou on his penalty drama
Freiburg: Schwolow - Lienhart (Koch 85'), Schuster (c), Söyüncü - Stenzel, Günter - Frantz, Höfler - Niederlechner, Terrazzino (Kath 85') - Haberer (Petersen 74')
Coach: Christian Streich
Hertha: Jarstein - Weiser, Stark, Rekik, Plattenhardt - Lustenberger (Maier 74'), Skjelbred - Leckie, Duda (Lazaro 57'), Kalou - Ibisevic (Selke 46')
Coach: Pal Dardai