Freiburg 0-0 Eintracht Frankfurt
Frankfurt started brightly at the Schwarzwald-Stadion, and new signing Simon Falette spurned a golden chance to mark his debut with a goal after heading Mijat Gacinovic's superb cross just wide. A minute later Freiburg had the ball in the back of the net, but there was to be no maiden Bundesliga goal for 21-year-old Tim Kleindienst, as the Video Assist Referee ruled it out for a Florian Niederlechner offside. The Eagles continued to threaten, with the impressive Sebastien Haller bulldozing his way through the home defence and crashing an attempt off the crossbar, but the two sides went in goalless at the break.
Frankfurt kept up their domination of possession after the interval, with Freiburg content to hit on the counter-attack. The hosts brought on supersub Nils Petersen for Kleindienst, and he had probably their best chance, with a snap effort that Gelson Fernandes deflected behind for a corner. Meanwhile, the Eagles brought on high-profile signing Kevin-Prince Boateng, but he was unable to help them make the breakthrough as the two sides played out the first goalless draw of the new season.
Freiburg: Schwolow - Lienhart, Schuster, Kempf - Stenzel, Günter - Höfler, Frantz (c) - Niederlechner (Terrazzino 78'), Haberer - Kleindienst (Petersen 58')
Coach: Christian Streich
Frankfurt: Hradecky - Abraham, Hasebe (c), Falette (da Costa 83') - Chandler, Fernandes, Willems - de Guzman, Gacinovic (Hrgota 88') - Kamada (Boateng 67'), Haller
Coach: Niko Kovac
- Frankfurt ended a club record run of seven defeats away from home.
- Kevin-Prince Boateng made his 99th Bundesliga appearance, the first since 10 May 2015 (for Schalke at Cologne).
- Until today, the Eagles had alternated victory and defeat on every opening weekend since 2007.
- Freiburg have not won on the opening matchday since 2001.
- Frankfurt have won just one of their last eight games against Freiburg, and that was the first (1-0 in 2014).
- Petersen is the most prolific substitute in Bundesliga history with 19 goals from the bench (including nine last season). In January 2015, he came on and scored a hat-trick against Frankfurt.
Watch: Highlights of the Matchday 1 stalemate