Goals: 0-1 Volland (50’), 0-2 Volland (60’), 1-2 Hennings (90+4’)
Fortuna looked to catch Leverkusen cold early on, and they almost succeeded as Benito Raman and Rouwen Hennings forced Lukas Hradecky into a pair of fine saves inside six minutes. Leverkusen responded in kind, but Lars Bender was unable to get a touch on Tin Jedvaj’s pin-point cross for what would been a certain goal. Fortuna ended the half the stronger, though, with Raman dragging a very presentable effort wide of the target.
If the first period was largely all Fortuna, the second was all Leverkusen. The opener arrived just five minutes in as Dominik Kohr directed a Leon Bailey corner onto the head of the unmarked Volland, who had the simplest of tasks from close range. Bailey dragged wide, but Bayer did not have to wait long to double their lead. Volland was again the scorer, this time heading home a sensational chipped cross from Kai Havertz. Hennings fired in a stoppage-time penalty to set up a grandstand finish, but Leverkusen held on to make it back-to-back Bundesliga wins.
- Volland ended a run of 10 competitive matches without a goal. He scored with each of his two efforts on goal.
- Havertz has registered three goals and one assist in his last three games in all competitions.
- Leverkusen’s Isaac Kiese Thelin made his full Bundesliga debut.
- Bailey and Kohr made their 50th competitive appearances for Leverkusen.
- After losing their first three Bundesliga matches of the season, Bayer have won their last two.
- Fortuna have won only one of their last 11 games against Leverkusen, with Thomas Seeliger firing them to a 1-0 win back in August 1996.
Düsseldorf: Rensing – Zimmermann, Ayhan, Kaminski, Gießelmann – Sobottka (c) - Zimmer (Usami 74'), Morales, Stöger (Ducksch 65'), Raman (Lukebakio 58') – Hennings
Unused subs: Theißen, Bodzek, Lovren, Bormuth
Absentees: Contento (cruciate ligament), Duman (groin), Karaman (muscle), Wiesner (pubic bone), Wolf (neck)
Coach: Friedhelm Funkel
Leverkusen: Hradecky – Jedvaj (Weiser 46'), Tah, S. Bender, Wendell – Kohr, L. Bender (c) (Dragovic 72') – Bailey, Havertz (Brandt 65'), Kiese Thelin - Volland
Unused subs: Özcan, Paulinho, Alario, Schreck
Absentees: Aranguiz (knee), Baumgartlinger (ligament), Bellarabi (suspended), Retsos (hand), Pohjanpalo (leg)
Coach: Heiko Herrlich
Watch: Leon Bailey heaps praise on Leverkusen goalscorer Kevin Volland