Goals: 1-0 Fernandes (26’), 1-1 Forsberg (pen. 53’)
Leipzig started brightly enough as Timo Werner had an effort ruled out for offside, but fellow UEFA Europa League competitors Frankfurt soon took charge of proceedings. A Leipzig-esque break produced the opening goal, with Luka Jovic skinning Konrad Laimer and crossing for Sebastien Haller. Peter Gulacsi reacted well to the Frenchman’s initial header, but could only push the ball back out to Gelson Fernandes, who couldn’t miss from close range. Gulacsi thwarted Jovic one-one-one moments later, before Fernandes’ low near-post drive forced the Hungarian into another strong save.
Leipzig had the chance to level late in the first half, but Werner mistimed his header and sent the ball over. A purposeful start to the second period was rewarded in the 53rd minute, though, with Forsberg equalising from the penalty spot after his cross had been handled by Filip Kostic. The chances were coming thick and fast for the visitors as Forsberg toed wide from close range. The Swedish playmaker then assumed his customary role of provider, but Werner was unable to make either chance count. Frankfurt found a second wind as Danny da Costa drove wide, and might have won it but for Gulacsi’s heroics to twice deny Ante Rebic late on.
- Kevin Trapp, back at the club on loan from Paris-Saint Germain, made his 100th appearance for Frankfurt.
- Fernandes scored his second Bundesliga goal, and first since opening his account in the colours of Freiburg in November 2013. It was also his first shot on goal for Frankfurt.
- Forsberg has scored three of his four penalty attempts in the Bundesliga. The Swede now has one goal and two assists after four matches; he registered two goals and two assists over the course of the entire 2017/18 season.
- Frankfurt’s FIFA World Cup finalist Rebic made his first appearance of the season following injury.
- Frankfurt’s Makoto Hasebe and Leipzig’s Laimer made their first Bundesliga starts of the season.
- Leipzig's Marcel Halstenberg made his first Bundesliga appearance this calendar year, following injury.
Watch: Emil Forsberg on a "fair result"
Frankfurt: Trapp - Abraham (c), Hasebe, N'Dicka – Da Costa, De Guzman (Allan 74'), Fernandes, Gacinovic, Kostic – Jovic (Rebic 69'), Haller
Unused subs: Rönnow, Falette, Fabian, Russ, Müller
Absentees: Willems (suspended), Chandler (knee), Salcedo (ligament), Paciencia (meniscus), Torro (muscle)
Coach: Adi Hütter
Leipzig: Gulacsi – Laimer (Konate 89’), Upamecano, Orban (c), Saracchi (Halstenberg 86') – Sabitzer, Demme, Kampl, Forsberg (Ilsanker 85') – Werner, Poulsen
Unused subs: Mvogo, Bruma, Cunha, Majetschak
Absentees: Klostermann (knee)
Coach: Ralf Rangnick (edited)