Eintracht Frankfurt continued their push for European football next season with a convincing 4-2 win over Cologne, who remain rooted to the foot of the Bundesliga with their survival hopes hanging by a thread.
Goals: 1-0 Rebic (15'), 1-1 Terodde (57' pen.), 2-1 Russ (59'), 3-1 Falette (65'), 4-1 Wolf (67'), 4-2 Terodde (74')
Timmy Chandler weaved his way in from the left, earning a corner after his cross was turned behind by a Timo Horn preparing himself for a busy afternoon in the Cologne goal. There was nothing he could do when Luka Jovic's low cross evaded him and three Cologne defenders to find the unmarked Ante Rebic, who tucked the ball in gratefully. The lively Chandler's sublime control and volley was worthy of more than just striking the far post as the Eagles continued to dominate.
Cologne came out fighting in the second half and a penalty, awarded after consultation with Video Assist, allowed Simon Terodde to level matters with his fourth goal for the Billy Goats. Their joy was short-lived, though, as Russ restored Frankfurt's lead, winning an aerial battle against three adversaries to flick a header inside the far post. It was the first goal by a Frankfurt defender this season, and another followed shortly after. Horn spare Jonas Hector's blushes, but Simon Falette was on hand to lift the rebound in off the underside of the crossbar. Marius Wolf turned the screw within two minutes, striking low into the far corner of Horn's goal, although Terodde was not taking it lying down as he reduced the arrears, heading in his second of the game for some personal consolation.
Frankfurt: Hradecky – Russ, Hasebe (c), Falette – Da Costa, Mascarell, Boateng (70' Fernandes), Chandler – Wolf, Jovic (57' Haller), Rebic (80' Gacinovic)
Unused subs: Zimmermann, Fabian, Salcedo, Willems
Absentees: Abraham (calf), Blum (calf), de Guzman (shoulder), Mandela (knee), Meier (ankle)
Coach: Niko Kovac
Cologne: T. Horn – Sörensen, Mere, Heintz, Hector (c) – Özcan, Lehmann (71' Koziello), Höger, Jojic (57' Zoller) – Terodde, Cordoba (63' Risse)
Unused subs: Kessler, Maroh, J. Horn, Pizarro
Absentees: Bittencourt (groin), Handwerker (broken hand), Queiros (neck), Clemens (thigh)
Coach: Stefan Ruthenbeck
- Frankfurt have won their last four home games against Cologne
- Jovic provided his first assist in the Bundesliga, having previously scored four.
- Rebic's goal was his first in over three months; a first in nine games.
- Frankfurt have not lost a game this season after taking the lead, winning ten and drawing four, while Cologne have drawn one and lost 15 after conceding the opening goal.
- Terodde scored two in 15 games in the first half of the season for Stuttgart – he now has five in five for Cologne..
- Russ scored the first goal by a Frankfurt defender this season, and his first goal since April 2016.
- Frankfurt scored more than three goals in a single Bundesliga game for the first time under Niko Kovac.