Frankfurt appeared quite keen on building on their first win of the season as they held possession well and pegged Augsburg back, but that tactic seemed to suit the guests too, as they broke with purpose. A free-kick for Die Fuggerstädter wide on the right seemed innocuous enough, but Max's fulminant delivery evaded everybody on its way into the far corner. The goal gave the guests a buzz and they ended the first half stronger.
Ante Rebic was Niko Kovac's answer for the second half, with the forward replacing defender Carlos Salcedo, and his inclusion boosted Frankfurt's attacking play. Sebastian Haller ran the Augsburg defence ragged, but they were caught out again with Caiuby pulling the trigger from distance and smashing the ball in off the underside of the crossbar. 19-year-old Jovic gave Frankfurt hope, heading in a goal on his debut, but Augsburg shut up shop and held on to the points.
Man of the match
It was one of those games when Augsburg needed a strong defence, and they had one with Max not only keeping things tight at the back, but also finding the key to victory with his second Bundesliga goal.
Frankfurt: Hradecky – Salcedo (46' Rebic), Abraham (c), Falette - Chandler, Hasebe, Willems (78' Tawatha) - de Guzman, Gacinovic (67' Jovic) - Boateng, Haller
Coach: Niko Kovac
Augsburg: Hitz - Opare, Gouweleeuw, Hinteregger, Max (80' Stafylidis) - Khedira, Baier (c) – Schmid (69' Caiuby), Koo, Heller – Finnbogason (88' Cordova)
Coach: Manuel Baum
- Seven points from four games represents FCA's best start to a Bundesliga campaign.
- Frankfurt won this fixture 3-1 last season, with Mexico midfielder Marco Fabian scoring his first and only Bundesliga brace.
- Augsburg have scored on all six of their Bundesliga trips to Frankfurt (W2 D2 L2), and they have taken the lead in their last five visits to the Commerzbank Arena.
- Augsburg captain Daniel Baier is the only player to have featured in all 11 Bundesliga meetings between these teams - and he has always been in the starting line-up.
- Max scored his second Bundesliga goal in his 57th appearance.