Goals: 1-0 Clemens (67')
Interim Cologne coach Stefan Ruthenbeck opted for a more attack-minded 4-4-2 formation, following his side's 1-0 defeat at Bayern Munich in midweek. The Billy Goats enjoyed the lion's share of possession in a cautious first half, but - aside from watching a long-range effort from full Bundesliga debutant Birk Risa go wide - Wolfsburg goalkeeper Koen Casteels had precious little to do.
Milos Jojic rattled the crossbar early in the second half as Cologne continued to do all the running, and their persistence was rewarded when Clemens stroked home Jojic's diagonal pass in the 67th minute. It was all Wolfsburg for the remainder as Mario Gomez had an effort cleared off the line and Timo Horn thwarted Jeffrey Bruma, but the Billy Goats held on for a long-overdue victory - although they are still nine points adrift of the relegation play-off spot at the halfway stage.
- Cologne recorded their Bundesliga win Matchday 34 of last season.
- Cologne's Birk Risa and Chris Führich, both 19, made their full Bundesliga debuts, after appearing as substitutes in the midweek defeat to Bayern.
- With an average age of 23 years and four months, Ruthenbeck sent out the youngest Cologne startling line-up in 50 years.
- Four of the last five teams sitting bottom at Christmas have been relegated.
- The Wolves have lost two of 12 games under Schmidt.
- Cologne are unbeaten in six league games against Wolfsburg (W1, D4).
Cologne: T. Horn - Sörensen, Mere, Heintz, J. Horn - Jojic, Lehmann (c) (Höger 58'), Özcan, Führich (Handwerker 71') - Klünter, Risa (Clemens 63')
Unused subs: Müller, Olkowski, Rausch, Bisseck
Absentees: Joao Queiros (neck), Maroh (thigh), Bittencourt (hip), J. Hector (ankle), Rausch (muscular), Risse (knee), Cordoba (thigh), Guirassy (toe), Osako (lung), Pizarro (thigh), Zoller (thigh)
Coach: Stefan Ruthenbeck
Wolfsburg: Casteels - Verhaegh (Dimata 85'), Knoche, Bruma, William (Tisserand 61') - Guilavogui, Gerhardt (Osimhen 81') - Origi, Didavi, Malli - Gomez (c)
Unused subs: Grün, Jung, Bazoer, Ntep
Absentees: Blaszczykowski (back), Camacho (ankle), Itter (light training)
Coach: Martin Schmidt