Cologne were left frustrated as they hit the woodwork three times in a 1-0 defeat to Serbian side Red Star Belgrade as European football returned to the cathedral city for the first time in a quarter of a century. Richmon Boakye got the only goal of the game as Milos Jojic (twice) and Leonardo Bittencourt both hit the post in the second half for Peter Stöger's men, who remain without a point in Europa League Group H.
Relive the action in the stream below!
Cologne: Horn – Mere, Sörensen, Heintz – Olkowski, Özcan, Lehmann (c), Jojic, Rausch – Guirassy, Cordoba
Absentees: Hector (ankle), Risse (knee)
Coach: Peter Stöger
Red Star: Borjan – Stojkovic, Le Tallec, Babic, Gobeljic – Donald (c), Krsticic – Srnic, Kanga, Radonjic - Boakye
Coach: Vladan Milojevic
- This is Cologne’s first home game in European competition since September 1992 – a 2-0 win over current Scottish champions Celtic.
- Jhon Cordoba’s opener in the 3-1 loss to Arsenal was the Billy Goats' first since Frank Ordenewitz’s 82nd-minute strike in that clash with Celtic.
- Cologne beat Red Star 3-2 on aggregate in the third round of the 1989/90 UEFA Cup – the precursor tournament to the Europa League.
- Cologne have an undefeated record against Serbian teams in Europe, with two wins and two draws from four encounters to date.
- Danish defender Frederik Sörensen remains Cologne’s top scorer this season with two goals in all competitions.
- Cologne’s Serbian midfielder Milos Jojic began his career with Red Star’s cross-town rivals Partizan Belgrade, scoring 10 league goals in two seasons before joining Borussia Dortmund in 2013/14.