Goals: 1-0 Ginter (10’), 2-0 Hazard (90’)
The home side took the initiative from the get-go with long range shots that Augsburg keeper Marvin Hitz deflected behind his goal. The Foals capitalised on this as Matthias Ginter opened the score in the 10th minute by heading in a Thorgan Hazard corner kick. Such set pieces remained an important factor throughout the first half as both sides produced their clearest chances in this fashion.
In the second half, both teams pushed on and managed to find plenty of opportunities from open play. Towards the end of the match, Augsburg opted to push deep into Gladbach’s territory in search of an equaliser, which left them exposed to a counter-attack from the hosts. After Ginter managed to win the ball and laid it off to Hazard in the Foals’ own half of the pitch, the Belgian winger sprinted the length of the field to seal the score with a fine finish from outside the box.
Man of the Match
With a goal and an assist, Hazard secured a crucial victory for Gladbach, who not only put four points between themselves and Augsburg, but jumped to a provisional fourth place in the table above Dortmund. The Foals' goal of returning to the UEFA Champions League remains alive.
- Gladbach have now won three of their last 14 meetings with Augsburg.
- Lars Stindl has not lost any of his 12 meetings with Die Fuggerstädter.
- Bobadilla moved from Augsburg to Borussia Park last summer after 94 games and 21 goals over four seasons in Bavaria. The Paraguayan forward is level with Finnbogason in second place among Augsburg's all-time Bundesliga top scorers.
- This was the first time Iceland international Finnbogason did not score against Gladbach. He had done so in his previous three meetings, including his first Bundesliga goal on 28 February 2016.
- When these sides met on Matchday 2, Finnbogason scored after 34 seconds - the fastest goal in the club's Bundesliga history.
- Manuel Baum's first game as a Bundesliga coach came against Gladbach on 17 December 2016; Augsburg came out 1-0 winners.
Gladbach: Sommer - Elvedi, Ginter, Vestergaard, Wendt - Herrmann (Hofmann 75'), Cuisance, Zakaria, Hazard - Stindl (c) (Grifo 90' + 1), Raffael (Jantschke 85')
Unused subs: Sippel, Drmic, Villalba, Mayer
Absentees: Doucoure (thigh), Strobl (knee ligaments), Traore (thigh), Benes (broken foot), Johnson (back), Bobadilla (pelvis)
Coach: Dieter Hecking
Augsburg: Hitz - Opare (Framberger 46'), Gouweleeuw, Hinteregger, Max - Khedira, Baier (c), Koo (Cordova 75')- Gregoritsch, Caiuby - Finnbogason (Schmid 46')
Unused subs: Luthe, Heller, Moravek, Danso
Absentees: Danso (ankle), Ji (knee), Leitner (foot)
Coach: Manuel Baum