Borussia Dortmund's 41-game unbeaten home record in the Bundesliga came to an end on Saturday as RB Leipzig came from behind to win 3-2 in an enthralling match in which both teams finished with ten men.
Sent off: Sokratis (48'), Ilsanker (56')
The writing appeared to be on the wall for Leipzig when Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang put Dortmund in front after just four minutes in a frenetic opening at the Signal Iduna Park, especially with key players Timo Werner, Emil Forsberg and Willi Orban on the bench. However, the visitors were unfazed by the deficit and drew level moments later through Marcel Sabitzer's header. They even took a surprise lead when Yussuf Poulsen was left with an easy tap-in following a sensational left-wing run by Bruma.
Christian Pulisic came on for the second half as Dortmund looked to restore parity, but matters took a turn for the worse for BVB when Sokratis was sent off for a professional foul in the penalty box within minutes of the restart, and Jean-Kevin Augustin coolly netted the ensuing penalty. The game was far from over, however, as Leipzig defender Stefan Ilsanker was sent off for a second yellow card, before Aubameyang got his second of the evening from the penalty spot after he was tripped by Bernardo.
That set up a gripping finale, with Dortmund desperately seeking a late equaliser only to be repelled by a stubborn Leipzig side, who held on to move within three points of the league leaders.
Man of the match
Sabitzer had an outstanding game in what was a hugely impressive team display from Leipzig. Not only did he score the all-important equaliser shortly after the visitors fell behind, he covered almost 11 kilometres, won 15 duels and prevented Dan-Axel Zagadou from getting forward all game.
Dortmund: Bürki - Toljan (Pulisic 46'), Sokratis (c), Toprak, Zagadou - Castro, Sahin (Weigl 46')- Philipp (Bartra 51'), Götze, Yarmolenko - Aubameyang
Coach: Peter Bosz
Leipzig: Gulacsi – Bernardo, Ilsanker, Upamecano, Halstenberg – Kampl, Keita (Demme 46') – Sabitzer (c) (Orban 86'), Bruma – Poulsen, Augustin (Laimer 65')
Coach: Ralph Hasenhüttl
- Aubameyang netted his 15th competitive goal in his 12 outing this term.
- This was the 22nd Bundesliga game in which Aubameyang has scored at least twice.
- Sabitzer finally managed to score here, doing so with his 20th shot of the season.
- Dortmund went behind in a match for the first time this season.
- Augustin scored away from home for the first time for Leipzig.
- Die Schwarzgelben 's unbeaten run at home in the Bundesliga ended at 41 Bundesliga home games, a club record.
- Leipzig have won both of their Bundesliga games in Dortmund (they won 1-0 on 10 September 2016).
- Leipzig midfielder Kevin Kampl was a Dortmund fan as a boy, made 14 top-flight appearances for BVB between January and August 2015.
Watch: Leipzig striker Poulsen reflects on a statement triumph for his side