Having been nudged off top spot by Hannover on Friday, Dortmund began here determined to resume pole position and needed only two minutes to break the deadlock, with Maximilian Philipp netting an excellent first goal for the club following fine work from newcomer Andrey Yarmolenko. BVB continued to dominate and added a second on the stroke of half-time when Sokratis prodded home following a corner.
Worse was to come after the interval for Cologne, who failed to seriously trouble the Dortmund goal. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang added a quick-fire double to put the outcome beyond any doubt, before Philipp scored his second of the evening to cap an all round outstanding display by Peter Bosz's side.
From the spot! @aubameyang97 has now scored against 17 of the 18 current #Bundesliga clubs 👏. The one club he hasn't scored against... @bvb09 of course 😀 . #BVB #BorussiaDortmund #Dortmund #immerwiederbvb #bvbarmy #Bundesliga #Football #Soccer #Germany #fussball #futbol #goals #lovefootball #thebeautifulgame #instasport #team #soccerislife #footy #skills #matchday #player #match #footballgame #ball
Man of the match
Two goals and an otherwise superb display from Aubameyang, whose pace and movement was too much for Cologne to deal with, opening up gaps across the backline for the hosts to pick their visitors apart.
- Dortmund have been top of the league all season and are the only side yet to concede a Bundesliga goal.
- BVB became the first team to score five goals in a Bundesliga match this season.
- Cologne lost for the first time against Dortmund under coach Peter Stöger (previously two wins, four draws).
- Borussia are now unbeaten in the last 40 home games.
- Aubameyang had never previously scored against Cologne, but his brace here means he has now found the net against 17 of the current 18 Bundesliga clubs.
Watch: Aubameyang gives his thoughts on the game
Dortmund: Bürki - Piszczek, Toprak, Sokratis (c), Zagadou - Sahin (Weigl 66'), Castro, Dahoud - Yarmolenko (Pulisic 66'), Philipp - Aubameyang (Isak 85')
Coach: Peter Bosz
Cologne: T. Horn - Klünter, Mere, Heintz, J. Horn - Lehmann (c), Höger (Jojic 64') - Risse, Osako (Sörensen 64') , Bittencourt (Zoller 56') - Cordoba
Coach: Peter Stöger