Club Brugge 0-1 Borussia Dortmund
Goal: 0-1 Pulisic (85')
Pulisic made 15 Champions League appearances in his teen years, registering three goals and one assist, but began the game in Brugge on the bench following a minor leg injury. Jadon Sancho was the one to benefit, starting the contest and becoming the youngest English player to make his Champions League debut for a foreign club in the competition's history, aged 18 years and 177 days old. The former Manchester City teen created BVB's best chance of the half from a corner, but Abdou Diallo was unable to make it count.
Brugge might have already been ahead but for some fine first-half intervention from Marco Reus and Roman Bürki to deny Ruud Vossen and Arnaut Groeneveld respectively, before Pulisic entered the fray as a 69th-minute replacement for Sancho. As tired legs set in, Manuel Akanji gifted a chance to Brugge substitute Lois Openda, only for Bürki to spare his blushes. And less than a minute later Dortmund got the winner as Matek Mitrovic's attempted clearance cannoned into the net off a jubilant Pulisic.
- Dortmund are second in Group A behind Atletico Madrid, who won 2-1 at Monaco.
- Pulisic has produced 13 goals and 20 assists in 100 competitive Dortmund games.
- Sancho is the seventh Englishman to debut in the Champions League for a non-British club.
- Axel Witsel, who made six appearances as Belgium finished third at the 2018 FIFA World Cup, faced Brugge 12 times as a Standard Liege player (W7, D3, L2).
- Brugge have only won one of their last 10 fixtures against German clubs, beating Dortmund 2-1 at home in the 2003/04 Champions League third qualifying round.
- The Belgians are without a win in their last 11 Champions League matches (D1, L10).
Brugge: Letica - Poulain, Mitrovic, Denswil - Vlietinck (Cools 56'), Vormer (c), Vanaken, Rits, Groeneveld (Bonaventure 76') - Wesley, Vossen (Openda 82')
Unused subs: Horvath, Amrabat, Schrijvers, Mechele
Absentees: Mata (groin)
Coach: Ivan Leko
Dortmund: Bürki - Piszczek, Diallo, Akanji, Schmelzer - Wolf, Witsel, Weigl (Dahoud 84') - Sancho (Pulisic 69'), Götze (Kagawa 62'), Reus (c)
Unused subs: Hitz, Zagadou, Hakimi, Philipp
Absentees: Guerreiro (muscle), Toprak, Alcacer (both thigh), Delaney (unknown)
Coach: Lucien Favre
Watch: No longer Dortmund's 'boy' wonder, a closer look at birthday boy Christian Pulisic