- Köln lost to fellow high-fliers Hertha last time out.
- Winless Hamburg are bottom with two points from eight games.
- HSV without a goal since Matchday 2.
The Billy Goats should be feeling confident against struggling Hamburg, who have only picked up two points in eight outings and come into the weekend bottom of the table. Even in defeat, Peter Stöger will have taken positives from the Hertha game, such as the on-fire Anthony Modeste grabbing his eighth goal of the campaign. All eyes are likely to be on the Bundesliga's leading scorer once again as Köln bid for a fifth win in nine matches.
To say that things are not going quite as planned for Markus Gisdol is something of an understatement. Since taking over from Bruno Labbadia, the new Hamburg coach has overseen two defeats and a draw against Borussia Mönchengladbach. Worse still, the goals have dried up, with Die Rothosen failing to find the back of the net in six league games. Things can only get better for Hamburg, who will be hoping to build on Tuesday's win in the DFB Cup.
- For the first time in their history, Hamburg have picked up only two points after eight games.
- HSV have also set another unwanted club record: going six Bundesliga games without scoring.
- Bundesliga top scorer Modeste has netted four times as many goals (eight) as the entire Hamburg team (two).
- The Frenchman has scored four goals in four Bundesliga meetings with HSV.
- Köln are unbeaten against Hamburg since 2014, with two wins and two draws under coach Peter Stöger.
- Köln have conceded at least one goal in their last five outings, and let in two for the first time this season against Hertha (a 2-1 loss).