In addition to the regular Official Fantasy Bundesliga standings, our insiders came together for the first time in "Project 50" on the last matchday.
The first face-off proved easy for Matt 'The Expert' Howarth with his five-a-side-team team winning decisively. Flo 'The Scout' Reinecke and James 'The Coach' Thorogood want to knock the Expert off his high horse this weekend. Who has picked the right quintet with a budget of 50M this time?
Matt 'The Expert' Howarth
I was so close to breaking the 50-point barrier last time out. With a couple of big names in my line-up, I’m confident I can stay on top this week!
- Marvin Compper (DF, RB Leipzig, 7.3M): Compper has started all of Leipzig’s eight league encounters this season. The 31-year-old has yet to reach double figures in a game, but I’m expecting him to win a fair few challenges at SV Darmstadt 98 on Saturday - and end up on the winning side.
- Kerem Demirbay (MF, TSG 1899 Hoffenheim, 3.4M): The former Fortuna Düsseldorf man picked up 11 points in Hoffenheim’s 3-0 win at Bayer 04 Leverkusen last time out. If he can do it at the BayArena, he can do it at the WIRSOL Rhein-Neckar-Arena against in-form Hertha Berlin.
- Marcel Risse (MF, 1. FC Köln, 12.3M): The eighth highest-scoring midfielder in the game, Risse scored a cracker against Hoffenheim in the DFB Cup second round on Wednesday. If you could repeat the trick against Hamburger SV, Marcel, I’d be very much obliged.
- Robert Lewandowski (FW, FC Bayern München, 15.8M): Yes, I know he hasn’t scored in the league since Matchday 3, but we all know what that means. Lewandowski is about to break his duck in some style, preferably at FC Augsburg on Saturday. Do you hear that, Lewy?
Flo 'The Scout' Reinecke
Matt and James constantly remind me that England is the motherland of football. That may be, but I invented Project 50. And - unlike the Three Lions - I also intend to win.
- Jean-Philippe Gbamin (DF, 1. FSV Mainz 05, 8,2M): A defender in the Official Fantasy Bundesliga; a midfielder for Mainz: a promising combination. I expect a lot of points from the Frenchman against an FC Ingolstadt 04 side with only two points.
- Kerem Demirbay (MF, TSG Hoffenheim, 3.4M): This formidable left footer has been an integral part of my fantasy team for weeks, and this week, thanks to an unbeatable price to performance ratio, he makes it into my team once again.
- Naby Keita (MF, RB Leipzig, 13.25M): With Keita, I have often been concerned about his hefty price and gone for cheaper alternatives. His performance against SV Werder Bremen, with two goals and 21 challenges won, has made me think again, though.
- Jhon Cordoba (FW, 1. FSV Mainz 05, 12.6M): Cordoba has scored points as prolifically as we might have hoped. Indeed, he has been waiting for a goal since Matchday 3. He scored in the DFB Cup against SpVgg Greuther Fürth in midweek before being subbed off. This goal was very important for him. More are sure to follow.
James 'The Coach' Thorogood
Fighting talk from Matt and Florian, but I'm sure they'll both be out for the count once I'm done with them.
- Marcel Halstenberg (DF, RB Leipzig, 9.3M): A marauding left-back, who like Rausch is known to take the odd set-piece, Halstenberg keeps popping up on my radar. 56 of his 57 points have been collected in the last seven games, with his lowest return coming in at six in that time!
- Naby Keita (MF, RB Leipzig, 13.25M): As a coach, it was impossible not to marvel at Keita’s match-winning heroics on Matchday 8. While his two-goal salvo was nice, it was the 21 challenges won that got me excited about his fantasy future as those are the points I’ll be able to rely upon long-term.
- Kerem Demirbay (MF, TSG 1899 Hoffenheim, 3.4M): A Project 50 favourite this weekend, Demirbay has registered double digits in three of the last four games and remains the perfect budget option for any Official Fantasy Bundesliga side ahead of the clash with Hertha Berlin.
- Anthony Modeste (FW, 1. FC Köln, 15.15M): Only two teams have conceded more than Hamburg this season and Modeste, the Bundesliga top goalscorer, will be relishing the chance to add to his eight-goal tally. Double digits are virtually guaranteed, but my coach’s intuition has got me feeling he could well top his MD7 haul of 18 points!
Watch: The Top 5 Bargain Buys in #BLFantasy: