- Mainz unbeaten in three outings.
- Leverkusen frustrated by Bremen in midweek
- Bayer missed penalties in last two matches.
Mainz welcome Leverkusen to their Opel Arena high on confidence after back-to-back away wins over FC Augsburg and SV Werder Bremen over the last week. The 05ers were three minutes away from defeat against Bremen on Wednesday before Yunus Malli and Pablo de Blasis struck to lift their side off the foot of the table.
Leverkusen’s 0-0 draw at home to FC Augsburg on Wednesday typified a frustrating start to the Bundesliga season for Roger Schmidt’s side, meanwhile. Die Werkself have just the one win in four outings so far, and a missed penalty from Charles Aranguiz in midweek did not help their cause.
- Four points from as many games is Leverkusen's worst start in four years.
- de Blasis' three goals see him closing in on his best return for a season, having scored four last term.
- Leverkusen have missed nine of their last 17 penalties, including two in last two matches.
- Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez has scored a goal in both of his outings against Mainz.