- Leverkusen dominate but unable to score.
- Hosts miss a penalty for a second successive game.
- Augsburg goalkeeper Hitz pulls off several excellent saves.
Leverkusen may not have had the best start to the new Bundesliga campaign, losing two of their opening three fixtures, but they started brightly here and assumed control of the game from the off. Chances were hard to come by against a disciplined Augsburg rearguard and the hosts squandered their best openings when they did come along, Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez heading straight at Marwin Hitz and Charles Aranguiz blazing over when well placed.
Without the injured Karim Bellarabi, Die Werkself lacked a natural wide man willing to take on his marker, and their efforts to go through the centre were invariably crowded out by Augsburg. Leverkusen were given a glorious opportunity to break the deadlock, however, when Jeffrey Gouweleeuw brought down Kevin Volland in the box, only for Aranguiz to put the ensuing penalty wide. It was the last clear sight of goal in a draw Augsburg will be much the happier with.
Man of the Match
It may have been an off day for Leverkusen's attack but Hitz had an excellent game in goal for the visitors, dealing neatly and efficiently with everything that came his way and helping Augsburg return home with a point.
Four points from a possible 12 this term is not a return Leverkusen will be happy with, but given the depth and quality in their squad they are bound to come good sooner rather than later.
- Aleksandar Dragovic made his Leverkusen and Bundesliga debut in this match.
- Stefan Kießling made his first appearance for Leverkusen this season.
- Leverkusen have been awarded two penalties this term and missed them both (Chicharito hit the post from the spot on Matchday 3).
- Aranguiz covered more ground than any other player on the pitch (12.03 kilometres).
Leverkusen: Leno – Henrichs, Tah, Dragovic, Wendell – Kampl, Bender (c) (Pohjanpalo 76'), Aranguiz, Calhanoglu (Brandt 66') – Volland, Chicharito (Kießling 65')
Coach: Roger Schmidt
Augsburg: Hitz – Verhaegh (c), Gouweleeuw, Hinteregger, Stafylidis – Kacar (Janker 85'), Baier – Ji, Moravek (Altintop 83'), Koo (Max 46') - Finnbogason
Coach: Dirk Schuster