- Bremen keen to avoid a third straight defeat this season.
- Gladbach made a five-game losing start to last term, but have already won one this campaign.
- Foals in action after their UEFA Champions League season debut at Manchester City.
Gladbach started last season with five straight defeats, which led to Lucien Favre resigning and Andre Schubert taking charge. They have made a better start this time around, though (W1 L1), but are looking to bounce back from last weekend's surprise defeat against SC Freiburg.
Bremen went ahead against FC Augsburg on Matchday 2, but they let their lead slip to slump to a second straight defeat which, in addition to their DFB Cup elimination, has ensured a false start to the season. Viktor Skripnik's men will hope to welcome their top-scorer from last season, Claudio Pizarro, back to help them out of a delicate situation.
- Gladbach have lost just one of their last seven meetings with Werder.
- FC Bayern München are the only team to have inflicted more Bundesliga defeats on Gladbach (45) than Bremen (38).
- Gladbach defender Jannik Vestergaard made 48 appearances for former club Bremen.
- Bremen last started a season with three consecutive Bundesliga defeats in 1998.
- Werder have collected just one point from their last five Bundesliga trips to Gladbach.
- The Green-Whites have conceded a league-high eight goals after two matches this season.