- Alonso and Xhaka set to meet as Bayern host Gladbach on Matchday 32.
- Both are holding midfielders who pose an attacking threat.
- Xhaka is currently the youngest captain in the Bundesliga; Alonso is Bayern's oldest outfield player.
FC Bayern München's hopes of sealing their fourth consecutive Bundesliga title at home to Borussia Mönchengladbach this Saturday could hinge on the outcome of a midfield tussle between Xabi Alonso and Granit Xhaka.
Pep Guardiola's side are seven points ahead of second-placed Borussia Dortmund in the , so victory would give them an insurmountable lead with just two rounds of matches remaining. Yet visitors Gladbach are embroiled in a five-team sprint to secure one of the remaining UEFA Champions League places, making this a potentially decisive fixture for both sides.
Alonso is Bayern's lynchpin in midfield, linking between defence and attack with his precision passing. Xhaka performs a similar role for the Foals, but also doubles up as a tough-tackling enforcer. Who will gain the upper hand at the Allianz Arena? Take a look at the video above and decide for yourself.
- Alonso has completed 91.2 per cent of his passes this season, compared to Xhaka's 84.3 per cent.
- Xhaka has won 55.9 per cent of all tackles, a tally that rises to 58.4 per cent for aerial duels. Alonso's respective figures in those categories are 55.4 and 50.6 per cent.
- Bayern's No. 14 averages 122 touches per game; Xhaka 102.