- Hosts looking to bounce back after defeat
- Konoplyanka could make Schalke debut
- Champions beat Werder 6-0 on Matchday 1
The Ukrainian winger joined Schalke on a season-long loan from Sevilla FC after his new side’s opening match single-goal defeat by Eintracht Frankfurt. The 26-year-old should add some cutting edge as Markus Weinzierl’s outfit look to bounce back in their first outing on home soil of the 2016/17 Bundesliga campaign.
Coach Carlo Ancelotti enjoyed the perfect start to his Bayern career when his new charges swept SV Werder Bremen aside 6-0 on the opening night of the season. The reigning champions were untroubled at home, and will be looking to extend their impressive record at the VELTINS Arena, where they have not lost in five visits since December 2010. The match could see Portuguese starlet Renato Sanches get his first taste of Bundesliga action.
- Bayern have topped the Bundesliga standings on 122 of the last 137 matchdays.
- Bayern's 6-0 in over Bremen was the joint-highest opening day victory in Bundesliga history.
- Schalke's Markus Weinzierl has lost all five of his previous Matchday 1 encounters as a head coach without his team scoring.
- Bayern are unbeaten in their last 11 competitive games against Schalke (nine wins, two draws); their last Bundesliga defeat to Schalke came in December 2010.
- If selected, Schalke's Naldo will become the third Brazilian to reach the 300-mark for Bundesliga appearances.
- Ancelotti masterminded a 6-1 win over Schalke whilst in charge of Real Madrid CF.
The venue: VELTINS Arena
Schalke: Fährmann - Caicara, Naldo, Höwedes, Baba - Geis, Bentaleb, Konoplyanka, Meyer - Huntelaar, Embolo
Head coach: Markus Weinzierl
Bayern: Neuer - Lahm, Martinez, Hummels, Alaba - Alonso, Thiago, Sanches - Müller, Ribery - Lewandowski
Head coach: Carlo Ancelotti