Following a chastening 3-0 loss away to Werder Bremen last time out, Schalke will be keen to respond in a positive fashion against an equally bruised Wolfsburg side shaken by their own Matchday 27 defeat when they meet on Saturday (15:30 CEST/13:30 GMT).
Wolfsburg welcome Luiz Gustavo back to the heart of their defence after the Brazilian served a ban in the midweek reverse at home to Freiburg. Elsewhere, Daniel Didavi and Yunus Malli are challenging to break into the Wolves' starting XI.
Schalke:Fährmann – Kehrer, Höwedes (c), Nastasic, Kolasinac – Caligiuri, Bentaleb, Goretzka, Meyer – Choupo-Moting, Burgstaller
Coach: Markus Weinzierl
Absentees: Baba (knee), Naldo (pelvis), Embolo (ankle), Aogo (ankle)
Wolfsburg: Casteels - Jung, Knoche, Luiz Gustavo (c), Horn - Bazoer, Guilavogui - Didavi, Arnold, Malli - Gomez
Coach: Andries Jonker
Absentees: Dejagah (calf), Bruma (knee), Rodriguez (foot), Ntep (thigh)
- Schalke have won just three of their ten games in the second half of the season, but are unbeaten in four at home.
- The Wolves have lost on their last six visits to Gelsenkirchen.
- No Schalke player has yet scored more than five goals this season, with Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting last finding the back of the net in November.
- Wolfsburg lost both of their games against Schalke in the 2016 calendar year without scoring a single goal.
- Mario Gomez has never scored at the VELTINS-Arena.
- Daniel Caligiuri was involved in a goal for Wolfsburg on average every 3.5 games, while at Schalke his record is closer to one every five games.