A seven-minute hat-trick from Mario Gomez was not enough to earn Wolfsburg three points at Bayer Leverkusen on Matchday 26 but it did stretch their unbeaten run to four matches. Three of those games were away from home and Jonker now has the chance to become the first Wolves boss to go five matches unbeaten at the start of his reign.
Freiburg have failed to win any of their last three matches after being hammered 5-2 at home by Werder Bremen on Matchday 26. Despite their position in the top half of the table, the newly-promoted club are unlikely to feel safe just yet - particularly since they have only emerged victorious in one of their past six matches.
Only five points separate Freiburg from Wolfsburg in 13th but a fourth away win of the season would once again have the visitors dreaming of a top-six finish and a place in next season’s Europa League.
- After Wolfgang Wolf, Jonker is only the second Wolves manager who has not lost any of his first four Bundesliga matches in charge of the team. In 1998, Wolf lost his fifth Bundesliga game as Wolves boss.
- Since Jonker took over, the Wolves have picked up eight points. Without them, they would be level with second bottom Ingolstadt on 22 points.
- Mario Gomez has scored eight goals in eight matches against Freiburg. He was on the winning side in seven of those games and drew the other one.
- In September 2011 during Bayern Munich’s 7-0 home win over Freiburg Gomez scored four goals. That is the last time he scored as many goals in one Bundesliga game.
- After 26 matches, Freiburg are eighth in the table. But they are still only six points clear of the relegation play-off place.
- Christian Streich's team have gone six Bundesliga games without a win against Wolfsburg – picking up only one point against them over that period.