A 2-1 defeat at Ingolstadt on Matchday 26 has well and truly dragged Mainz into a relegation scrap. The 05ers have now lost their last three matches – including against the bottom two – and have dropped to 15th in the table for the first time in Martin Schmidt’s reign.
Mainz have never lost four league games in a row under Schmidt and - at the start of a run of four games against top-eight sides - they could do with a sixth home win of the season this week.
A 4-0 win over bottom club Darmstadt snapped a two-game losing streak for Leipzig and their grip on second spot looks a little more secure after Borussia Dortmund could only take a point from the Revierderby at Schalke. Ralph Hasenhüttl’s team have only one win in their last six matches on the road, however, so they will be keen to chalk up their seventh away success of the campaign on their first ever visit to the OPEL ARENA.
If they do manage to win the second competitive meeting of the sides, the visitors would remain at least four points clear of third-placed Hoffenheim with only seven matches to go.
- Mainz have won only one of their six home matches in 2017 – taking just one point from their last three combined.
- After Matchday 22, Mainz had an eight-point cushion on the team in the relegation play-off place. Four games later, only a better goal difference keeps them ahead of third-bottom Augsburg.
- Mainz have let in 43 goals, which is already one more than they conceded in the whole of last season. They have never conceded as many at this stage of a Bundesliga campaign before.
- Leipzig have amassed 52 points. Only once since the "three points for a win" rule was introduced in Germany in 1995 has a team with that record at this stage of the season failed to finish in the top three.
- Against Darmstadt, Emil Forsberg scored a league-leading fourth long-range goal of the season.
- Leipzig won the first match between the sides 3-1 after earning a three-goal advantage by half-time. It is still the biggest interval lead that the promoted club have had in a Bundesliga game.