The games are running out for Borussia Mönchengladbach and Hertha Berlin as each seeks to secure their respective aims, making Wednesday's meeting (kick-off 20:00CEST/18:00GMT) between the teams an all-important affair.
Dieter Hecking produced an undeniable lift in Gladbach’s fortunes after taking over from Andre Schubert in late December. However, the mid-table Foals once again find themselves needing points to avoid the unwanted attention of the chasing pack. Borussia are winless in three Bundesliga fixtures, scoring just once during that run, and last won a home game a month ago.
It’s crunch time for Hertha in terms of their UEFA Champions League qualifying ambitions with the Old Lady seeing fourth slowly fading into the distance after last weekend’s reverse against Hoffenheim.
Pal Dardai’s men would be sitting pretty in the standings were home form the only factor this season. Away games count too, however, and with eight losses on the road this term, Hertha need to quickly address that unwanted imbalance.
- In 10 games under Dieter Hecking, Gladbach have taken more points (17) than they did in 16 under Andre Schubert (16).
- With Hecking in charge, Gladbach have already kept more clean sheets (five) than they did before the winter break (four).
- The Foals have only picked up six points at home under Hecking compared to 11 away from home.
- In 2017, Hertha have lost twice as many games (six) as they have won (three).
- Hertha have lost their last six games in a row away from home. They have won just once on their last 10 visits to Gladbach.
- Raffael played for Hertha from January 2008 until July 2012. He scored 23 goals in 110 Bundesliga matches for them.