SV Darmstadt 98 welcome FC Augsburg to Hesse on Saturday afternoon (kick-off 15:30CET/14:30GMT) with both teams in desperate need for points in the battle against relegation.
Darmstadt kept their heads narrowly above the relegation zone with an obstinate 0-0 draw at UEFA Champions League-chasing 1. FSV Mainz 05 on Sunday. Die Lillien have only picked up two points from their previous five matches, though Sandro Wagner appears to be hitting form at the right time, with five goals in 2016 so far.
Augsburg travel to the Merck-Stadion am Böllenfalltor without first-team regulars Jan-Ingwer Callsen-Bracker, Markus Feulner and Dong-Won Ji, who are injured. Augsburg took a 3-0 lead against Bayer 04 Leverkusen last time out before Die Werkself battled back to draw 3-3.
Goals: 0-1 Wagner (7'), 0-2 Niemeyer (29')
Darmstadt continued their fine start to the campaign with an impressive 2-0 win over Augsburg at the WWK Arena. Sandro Wagner and Peter Niemeyer scored for the hosts.
Matchday 26 – match facts
- Darmstadt and Augsburg have almost identical records. Both have six wins, eight draws and 11 defeats, having each conceded 38 goals. However, Augsburg have scored five more goals (30) than Die Lilien (25).
- Many predicted doom for last season's promoted clubs. Whilst FC Ingolstadt continue to silence the doubters, Darmstadt as winless in five Bundesliga games, taking only two of a possible 15 points in that time.
- In their last five games Darmstadt have dropped from 11th to 15th in the table. In the home table, only Hannover 96 have fared worse than Dirk Schuster's men.
- Darmstadt have not won at home for eight Bundesliga games and counting. No side in the league has been winless for longer.
- The 2-0 loss to Borussia Dortmund on Matchday 24 was Darmstadt's fourth consecutive defeat at their Merck-Stadion am Böllenfalltor. The club had never before suffered four home defeats in a row, in any division.
- Augsburg's 3-3 draw with Leverkusen last weekend was the first time they had ever taken a three-goal lead in the Bundesliga. The Bavarians have won only once in 2016, against bottom club Hannover 96.
Table: Click here for the latest Bundesliga standings
Darmstadt: Mathenia - Jungwirth, Sulu, Rajkovic, Caldirola - Gondorf, Niemeyer - Heller, Rausch - Vrancic - Wagner
Absentees: Stroh-Engel (back), Garics, Stark, Rosenthal (all light training)
Augsburg: Hitz - Verhaegh, Hong, Klavan, Max - Baier - Kohr - Bobadilla, Koo, Caiuby - Finnbogason
Absentees: Callsen-Bracker (broken leg), Feulner (broken cheekbone), Gouweleeuw (suspended), Ji (muscle strain), Moravek (light training)