Eintracht Frankfurt face their first test since parting company with Armin Veh as his successor Niko Kovac gets set to take charge of his first game as the Eagle's head coach against high-flying Borussia Mönchengladbach this Saturday (kick-off 15:30CET/14:30GMT).
Gladbach suffered a setback in their bid for a place in the UEFA Champions League next season when they were beaten by VfL Wolfsburg on Matchday 26, but the return from injury of Patrick Herrmann has lifted confidence heading into the final nine games of the season.
Frankfurt responded to their 1-1 draw at home to FC Ingolstadt 04 by relieving Armin Veh of his duties. Two-time Bundesliga champion and former Croatia head coach Niko Kovac was presented as Frankfurt's new head coach on Tuesday, with the Hessian club desperate to pull away from the bottom three before it is too late.
Matchday 26 – match facts
- Gladbach have picked up a meagre ten points from eight games in 2016.
- Frankfurt are currently on the longest winless run of any side in the Bundesliga, with seven games since their last win.
- There was just one defeat for Gladbach under Schubert in the first half of the season, while they have already lost four in 2016.
- Frankfurt have scored just five goals in their last ten away fixtures – as many as in their first two away games of the season.
- Borussia have won six out of their last seven home games.
- Frankfurt have won 11 times in Mönchengladbach, which is more than at any other Bundesliga opponent.
- The 5-1 loss from the reverse fixture was Frankfurt's heaviest defeat of the season to date.
- Lars Stindl and Szabolcs Huszti both played together for Hannover between 2012 and 2014.
Gladbach: Sommer - Elvedi, A. Christensen, Nordtveit, Hinteregger - Dahoud, Xhaka - Hazard, Johnson - Stindl, Raffael
Absentees: Schulz (knee), Dominguez (back), Jantschke (knee), Stranzl (muscle fibre), Wendt (muscle fibre), Hahn (light training)
Frankfurt: Hradecky - Regäsel, Ayhan, Abraham, Oczipka - Russ, Hasebe - Aigner, Fabian, Ben-Hatira - Seferovic
Absentees: Anderson (knee), Flum (knee), Castaignos (ligaments), Reinartz (groin), Meier (knee), Stendera (adductor), Zambrano (thigh)