Borussia Dortmund are aiming to keep up the pressure on league leaders FC Bayern München when they host an in-form 1. FSV Mainz 05 side on Sunday evening (kick-off 17:30CET/16:30GMT).
BVB put in a strong performance at home to Bayern last weekend but were unable to close the gap further in an enthralling 0-0 draw in Der Klassiker. Incidentally, fifth-placed Mainz were the side who reinvigorated Dortmund's title challenge by beating the Bundesliga leaders 2-1 on Matchday 24, and they come into this game in high spirits having also defeated FC Schalke 04 and Bayer 04 Leverkusen in recent weeks.
It will be an emotionally charged occasion for Dortmund coach Thomas Tuchel, who spent five years in charge of Mainz and was instrumental in establishing them as a top-flight side. His successor, Martin Schmidt, has overseen an excellent campaign so far this term and is looking to steer the 05ers into European competition next season.
BVB ended a run of four games without a victory courtesy of a hard-fought 2-0 away win on Tuchel's return to his former employers.
Matchday 26 – match facts
- Dortmund have won more points (20) than any other team in the second half of the season. Mainz (16) are the fourth-best side on points gained so far in 2016.
- BVB have lost only one of their last 11 meetings with Mainz, winning nine.
- Six penalties were awarded in the five most recent matches between the sides.
- Reus has scored more often against Mainz than against any other Bundesliga team: nine goals in 12 matches.
- In the reverse fixture earlier this season, Reus missed a penalty for the first time in his Bundesliga career.
- Mainz forward Yunus Malli has lost all five games he has played against Dortmund.
Dortmund:Bürki - Ginter, Subotic, Bender, Durm - Sahin - Gündogan, Kagawa - Castro, Reus - Aubameyang
Absentees: Papastathopoulos (adductor)
Mainz: Karius - Brosinski, Balogun, Bell, Bussmann - Baumgartlinger, Latza - Clemens, Malli, Jairo - Cordoba
Absentees: Bengtsson (ankle), Soto (light training), Berggreen (knee), Muto (ankle)