Tayfun Korkut’s appointment has not helped Leverkusen turn their season around just yet, and the 1-0 defeat at Hoffenheim on Matchday 25 was their third league defeat in four matches. It also left his side only four points above third-bottom Hamburg, so a repeat of the 2-1 victory the last time these two sides met earlier in the season would be extremely welcome.´
By contrast, Andries Jonker has guided his team to two wins and a draw in his first three matches in charge – the best start for a Wolfsburg manager in 14 years. Following 1-0 wins away at RB Leipzig and at home to bottom club Darmstadt, a third victory on the bounce could see the Wolves leapfrog Leverkusen in the table. Yet despite their good form, the 2009 league winners start the weekend just two points clear of the relegation play-off place.
- Leverkusen have lost just one of their 19 home fixtures against the Wolves (5-4 in 2015).
- Jonker is unbeaten in eight games as a Bundesliga coach, which is one of the best records in German top-flight history.
- Korkut is without a win in three competitive games in charge of Leverkusen. Jonker is undefeated in three with Wolfsburg.
- Leverkusen have the exact same record as relegated Stuttgart last season.
- Mario Gomez has continued his run of scoring in every game under Jonker, and is responsible for all three goals under the Dutch coach. When Gomez scores, Wolfsburg average 2 points per game. They amass just 0.8 when he does not.
- Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez is without a goal in six competitive games for his club. The Mexican has failed to score in 25 of his 33 matches in all competitions this season.