VfL Wolfsburg will hope to give themselves some breathing space in the battle to avoid relegation by pushing visitors SV Darmstadt 98 closer to the drop with victory on Saturday (kick-off 15:30CET/14:30GMT)
Andries Jonker has made an immediate impact with Wolfsburg and they have picked up four points from his first two games in charge by following up a 1-1 draw in Mainz with an impressive 1-0 win at second-placed RB Leipzig. For the Dutchman’s first home game in charge, the Wolves will be planning to put 14 points between themselves and the bottom-placed visitors.
Darmstadt picked up a much-needed win over Mainz last weekend and Torsten Frings will now be desperate for his side to finally pick up their first points away from home this season. The 11-point gap to third bottom Hamburg is the highest there has ever been at this stage of the season since the relegation play-off was reintroduced for the 2008/09 season. Things are starting to look ominous for the Lilies but they will take heart from the fact that one of their four wins in the league this season came against Saturday’s opponents.
- Wolfsburg have 26 points – their lowest ever total at this stage of the campaign.
- The Wolves have picked up only 11 points at home this season – only Ingolstadt (10) have taken fewer.
- Andries Jonker is the only Bundesliga boss who has taken charge of at least seven matches and has yet to taste defeat. Mario Gomez has scored in all seven of those games – with 11 goals in total.
- In the previous meeting between the sides this season, Darmstadt won 3-1 – the first time they had scored three goals in a game since earning promotion in 2015.
- On Matchday 24, Aytac Sulu scored his first Bundesliga goal at home for the Lilies – after netting seven times on the road last season.
- Only Darmstadt (17) have scored fewer goals than Wolfsburg (22) this season.