FC Schalke 04 will be seeking to end a three-game wait for a win when they host Hamburger SV on Wednesday night (kick-off 20:00CET/19:00GMT).
A recent dip in form has seen the Royal Blues' season stall, but results elsewhere mean they are still within reach of a qualifying berth for the UEFA Champions League next season, and beating Hamburg would help get them back on course for that, their ultimate objective for the campaign.
HSV, meanwhile, are on a four-game unbeaten streak, but that has not yet done enough to consign any relegation fears to the closet, with more points still needed before the northern Germany side can consider themselves safe from a third consecutive finish in the bottom three.
Goals: 0-1 Sane (60’)
Leroy Sane helped Schalke to their fourth Bundesliga win in a row at the expense of Hamburg, taking the Royal Blues up to third in the standings.
Matchday 24 - Match stats
- Schalke have not won any of their last three Bundesliga matches.
- Hamburg are four games unbeaten (one win, three draws) – their best run since autumn 2013, when they were unbeaten for four games.
- Hamburg have nevertheless won just one of their last nine Bundesliga matches, with only Hannover and Wolfsburg picking up fewer points over the same span of games.
- Sane scored four goals in the first 11 games of the season – including the match-winner in the reverse leg – but he has scored just once in 12 games since.
- Schalke have more wins against Hamburg (36) and have scored more goals against them (134) than against any other Bundesliga side.
- Klaas-Jan Huntelaar loves facing HSV: he has scored ten in 11 meetings.
- Pierre-Michel Lasogga could make his 100th Bundesliga appearance, while Rene Adler could play his 100th game for HSV.
Schalke: Fährmann - Junior Caicara, Matip, Neustädter, Kolasinac - Geis, Aogo - Sane, Belhanda, Meyer - Huntelaar
Absentees: Höwedes (muscular) Nastasic (Achilles), Uchida (light training), Goretzka (shoulder), Höger (knee).
Hamburg: Adler - Sakai, Djourou, Spahic, Ostrzolek - Kacar, Holtby - Müller, Ilicevic - Drmic - Rudnevs
Absentees: Ekdal (ankle), Hunt (muscular) Gregoritsch (ligaments).