With just a single win in their last six league outings, and a draining UEFA Europa League Last 16 double-header with Borussia Mönchengladbach, Schalke's season could unravel quickly in the next week if they fail to secure a positive result against coach Markus Weinzierl's former club.
With just four points between themselves and the bottom three ahead of MD24, Weinzierl's current squad of players must be happy to find Augsburg virtually in the same boat, just a point better off having picked up only a win and a draw to offset two defeats in their last four Bundesliga matches.
- With only 27 points on the board, Schalke have their lowest tally after 23 matches since 1998/99 (24 points).
- Augsburg have collected a league-high 15 points from losing positions so far this season.
- The Royal Blues have conceded four of their last five Bundesliga goals between the 64th-79th minute.
- Augsburg have already picked up the same number of points in nine matches under Manuel Baum as they managed in 14 under his predecessor Dirk Schuster (14).
- Schalke’s Weinzierl has averaged 1.2 points per game, compared to 1.3 during his time at the Augsburg helm: the lowest points average for a Schalke coach in the last 23 years.
- Die Fuggerstädter are unbeaten in their last four against Schalke (W1, D3), but have only won one of their 11 top-flight meetings with the Royal Blues.