A late Sebastian Rudy goal salvaged a point for fourth-placed Hoffenheim in a 1-1 draw at Schalke last time out, and Julian Nagelsmann's side will look to keep the positive momentum going with what would be a third home win in a row. Sandro Wagner has scored in his previous two matches against Ingolstadt and so will be confident that he can help his side preserve their unbeaten home record this season.
Second-bottom Ingolstadt lost 2-0 at home to Borussia Mönchengladbach on Matchday 22 but they tend to perform better on the road, following up a win at Bayer Leverkusen before Christmas with a 2-0 success against Eintracht Frankfurt on Matchday 21. A fourth away win of the campaign would move Die Schanzer out of the bottom two – at least temporarily.
- Hoffenheim boast 38 points from 22 games. That is one point more than they managed in the whole of last season.
- The home side have taken 61 points from 36 Bundesliga matches under Nagelsmann. Only Bayern (88 points) and Borussia Dortmund (73) have been more successful over that period.
- Kerem Demirbay has only scored in away matches so far. The first of his three goals this season came in the last meeting between the sides in October – a 2-1 win for Hoffenheim on Matchday 6.
- Ingolstadt have never won in six competitive games against Hoffenheim in the lower leagues, the DFB Cup and the Bundesliga (two draws, four defeats).
- The visitors have scored four of their five goals in 2017 from set pieces.
- Ingolstadt’s Pascal Groß played for Hoffenheim from 2007 until 2011. He made his first five appearances in the Bundesliga for the home team.